review: Northernbrewer Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crito

Reaction score
omg. sooo freaken good.

I am in heaven. kicks the butt out of killians.

*Drool*

:rockin:

:mug:

good to hear. that what i have in my primary now. It has been 1 week so i still have a ways to go. How long did you leave it in the primary, and bottle conditioned before you tried one?

one month in primary with no secondary. condition in kegin one week.

I just put the first bottle of a batch of this kit in the fridge this morning on the way out the door. 3.5 in primary, no secondary, 14 days in the bottle @ 70*. 6 long hrs until the first taste. ;)

Have you tried NB Dawson's multigrain red ale? I was going to get the Irish red, but decided on the Dawson's. I'm brewing it tomorrow.

Have you tried NB Dawson's multigrain red ale? I was going to get the Irish red, but decided on the Dawson's. I'm brewing it tomorrow.

I am using the last of my extract kits. I am going all grain now.

how did it taste?

I'm an Irish style beer fan. I like anything from Guiness to Smithwick's to, even Killian's. I can say that now my idea of a good Irish style beer has been adjusted so to speak. This stuff rocks.:rockin:

I would recommend this kit to anyone. Nice malt backbone, well balanced, and awesome color. I will brew this again.

I did a full boil w/late addition, left the hops as scheduled and fermented @ 65* with Wyeast 1056. Even my wife likes it, and doesn't care for much that isn't BMC.

I'm an Irish style beer fan. I like anything from Guiness to Smithwick's to, even Killian's. I can say that now my idea of a good Irish style beer has been adjusted so to speak. This stuff rocks.:rockin:

I would recommend this kit to anyone. Nice malt backbone, well balanced, and awesome color. I will brew this again.

I did a full boil w/late addition, left the hops as scheduled and fermented @ 65* with Wyeast 1056. Even my wife likes it, and doesn't care for much that isn't BMC.

Interesting with the yeast choice...I thought they might recommend an Irish Ale yeast like 1084 or WLP004. I looked at that kit online and they only have dry yeast avail - nottingham...but on their directions they recommend 1272 - American Ale II which they say is fruitier and more floc than 1056.

Has anyone done this with the dry yeast and love it?

When I ordered it I was thinking why not Irish Ale as well. I did it with the 1272 and it turned out fantastic. I left it in primary for 3 weeks before kegging it. I highly recommend it. Next time I will do 10 gallons and split the batch and do half with Irish Ale and see.

As I understand it, Killian's Irish Red isn't an irish red at all is it? It's an amber lager - much different flavor-wise I would think. And being a Coors product I wonder how much of it is rice..

Either way, congrats on the successful brew. I just brewed up this same kit last night and just now have a nice krausen forming. Looking forward to a tasty replacement for Smithwicks!

Latest posts

Back