Reusing sacc/brett yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierGut

Reaction score
After kegging a saison that I'd brewed last year with a blend sacc and brett, I brewed another saison the very next day and racked right on top of the old yeast. I do this often with my ales to save money an they take off immediately. This one though shows no signs of active fermentation after 3 days, no krausen, no bubbles, just a thin pellicle already starting to form.

Is it fermenting? I forget how the other saison acted in it's first days of primary and I'm wondering if the brett killed the sacc yeast?

Any advice?

May need to pitch more Sacc. I'm guessing they are pretty pooped out from doing nothing for a year. The brett may be stressed too but I bet they will still do their thing.

The only way to tell if it is fermenting is to check with a hydrometer.

If it were me and I did not have any active fermentation after 5 days, I would pitch some Saison Yeast.

Then add some dregs from Brett only beers like Orval after primary fermentation is complete.

Overpitching aside, your sacch is likely stressed or even dead after a year. It will still ferment out because brett is a beast like that, but the brett character will assert itself much quicker this time around.

I would pitch onto a third to maybe half of the cake depending on OG, along with a little sacch to help it along.

Apologies for hijacking but been wondering about this too. Would it be better to build a starter up with the year old yeast cake? I'm wondering about this for longer term building a house strain. How do they do it if not pitching onto the yeast cake?

Back