Reuse growler caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
i've recently started kegging and would really like to be able to fill growlers. I seem to be having a hard time tracking down growler caps at a decent price in Canada, but luckily had a local brewery give me a couple dozen to get me started.

I've filled a few, and i've noticed after taking these caps off, the underside and the "foam" that creates the seal in these caps seem like brand new condition...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004GWGL10/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Has anyone ever tried reusing these?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
i've recently started kegging and would really like to be able to fill growlers. I seem to be having a hard time tracking down growler caps at a decent price in Canada, but luckily had a local brewery give me a couple dozen to get me started.

I've filled a few, and i've noticed after taking these caps off, the underside and the "foam" that creates the seal in these caps seem like brand new condition...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004GWGL10/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Has anyone ever tried reusing these?

thanks!
Hi. I've not used them from Amazon, but I've bought growlers with that type of cap. As you noted, they do not seem to work as well after their first use. I highly recommend this cap for your growlers. They are reusable and IMO seem to keep the beer fresher for a longer period of time. Ed
:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I reuse growler caps all the time, although when I fill them off my keezer there generally consumed within a couple days.

The polyseal caps will last much longer and seal better, but the metal ones are reusable too.

I have a few metal caps where they foam seal looks mildewed and won't come clean (I really should throw those out.) The metal ones can also rust, but I've never seen that actually happen.

I second the caps @RedlegEd recommends. I've used those for over a year and while I don't use them often they're all still in great shape and they hold carbonation extremely well. Plus, based on the links in each post it looks like they're 2.11 USD more for 12 times as many caps. IDK how well that pricing holds up in Canada but I can say they're superior caps. You can get the same caps at homebrewing.org in a 4 or 6 count so look around and see who has the best cost+shipping to where you are.

I bought some of the poly seal caps as well and really like them. But I also reuse the standard metal ones until I do not like how they look. For me, it is really what I have kicking around when I go to fill and bring my beer somewhere for a weekend or something. the poly seal caps keep disappearing on me. It is not uncommon for people to "accidentally" throw them out on me when I am not paying attention.

thanks guys - all great info! great to hear people are having success reusing the metal caps until they no longer look "fresh"...

Latest posts

Back