Resume help/ overview

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to possibly get a job at our local brewery as assistan brewer / head brewer more then Likely the the assistant due to me having no large skill experience. I have some one that works in there already that can get my resume to the right person and get me sorta in. My question is can you look over my resume and see if it sounds good or what I should change in the summary, I feel it isn't great but show my love for brewing and sanitation

Sounds like a very exciting opportunity for you. I wish you the best of luck!

I would consider the first paragraph more of a brief statement of why you want the job. Example below (just an example):

My passion is brewing! I love making sweet wort and following it through the fermenting process to ensure high quality brew with an outstanding finish. I focus on intense sanitation to ensure the beer I make is never at risk. I crafted a fine Russian Imperial Stout that won first place in a homebrew competition. I feel I have the knowledge and drive to become an accomplished brewer and I am very optimistic about this potential opportunity.

-In my opinion when writing a resume you are trying to tell the person reading it why they should hire you, avoid every mentioning shortcomings. If you get an interview you can certainly discuss any weaknesses as that often comes up in question form. I always use those opportunities to try and highlight what I have recognized as a weakness and what I have done or am doing to improve in that area. This often impresses them to know you are willing to admit you aren’t perfect and shows them what you will do to make improvements.

This feedback obviously doesn’t cover the whole resume but hopefully you find something I said helpful.

RP

Yea this is my first resume ever and wasn't sure what to do for the cover story so it seemed like a story when I was done lol thanks for the help that is how I was trying to have it come off but as you read I worded long and over thought in a sense lol

Would my email being hophead636 be fine or should I make a professional one with my name@gmail?

I have been an operations manager for some time now (not in brewing, mind you), and I have a couple of general thoughts.

You're telling the reader a lot about what you don't have. You may want to let them size that up and start with what you do have to offer them. When I read a resume, I want to hear right off quickly what you have to offer me. Have you learned anything from your prior jobs that make you a useful entry level brewer? Would your current/past co-workers consider you industrious, clean, patient (maybe think of some adjectives that work)? You have some potential, as demonstrated by your skill in homebrewing, and now you are wanting to take all of the qualities you have to offer and take it to the next level, right?

Just my $.02. Good luck to you!

Edit: For any other job, I would change the e-mail addy; for this one, you're fine.

+1^

Good for you! Now sell yourself.

Resumes should be skimmable. No long paragraphs. Break it into 2 or 3 shorter ones. Agree on emphasizing your strengths and mention why you think you're the best person to fit the job.

Hammer on your accomplishments, not just your dreams and passions. Things an employer looks for are reliability, attendance, responsibility, being a hard worker, willingness to learn, being part of a team that gets the job done, etc. Nothing is worse than an employee who calls off when they expected you to be there.

You want to get a foot in the door (interview) so they can meet you. That's where you play your magic and remove any doubt they may have to offer you the job. That's where you tell them you're hungry for the job.

Try to combine (redundant) lines, such as the 3 lines of freight handling into one. Like: "Loading, unloading, and storing freight." Avoid bloat. Longer is not better.

No spelling or grammatical errors. Let someone else proofread it.

Good luck!

Would my email being hophead636 be fine or should I make a professional one with my name@gmail?

Yup, forget hophead even exists.

firstname.lastname@gmail
initialslastname@gmail
initials.lastname@gmail

gbowermaster at gmail.com would be perfect.
See what's available. No complicated, long or unintelligible names.

That reverse text contact info maybe hard to read. Put it in regular format, between 2 single horizontal lines. Looks cleaner too.

Usually we put the last (current) place of work on top, unless you have a reason not to. Such as wanting to emphasize the first job (forklift op) if it fits the job you're applying for better.

Nah wasn't sure how you really laid one out did this on one of those free resume builders then they try to charge you at the end, thank you all for the tips and will start putting together the real one now, just made a new professional gmail lol

Yeah they're great for the format.

After that, Google Docs is all you need.
They may even have resume templates.

Check your capitalization in your bullet lists. Too many people make everything a proper noun.

WTF is sweat wort? I am disgusted by the 2nd sentence and didn't bother reading the rest.

I agree with the general consensus that the first paragraph has got to go. Don't try to edit it. Replace it. A story like that belongs on a letter of interest, not a résumé.

Grammar and punctuation are also very important. What you have presented shows very little concern for detail and presentation, a very important skill-set in brewing.

As for the e-mail address, I think it's fine. I have had applications come across my desk with addresses like poon69master, ih8people, and dragonslayer. All of which are inappropriate for any professional communication, yours, on the other hand, fits with the field in which you are applying.

One of the most important things you can do is to follow up after the application. Phone calls, e-mails, in person.

Coming from a guy who just landed his first real job in his career path I would like to throw in my two cents on resume building.

First: have an objective. Let them know what your goal is as a brewer i.e.: Creating varying styles of beers in order to make the next great American beer. It should be short and sweet and to the point.

Second: highlight your positives and let them figure out your negatives. Also, try to make your past work experiences relatable to your the one you are applying for.

Lastly, make sure your resume is in the best shape it can be. Make sure your punctuation is spot on, make sure your resume has a flow to it (things match up, it tells a story) and have someone read it over to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Good luck!

Cheers!

I won't necessarily comment on the brewing resume side of things but I will comment generally.

Yes, spelling and grammar. "Sweat wort"? No, it's "sweet wort". "i" should be capitalized always. A previous comment about the capitalization in the bullet list is correct.

I won't comment on the opening paragraph. My experience with resumes is quite limited to being a professional musician and university teacher. The format is VERY limited and strict. When applying for a music gig you only ever do a one page resume. Ever. But the basics of spelling and grammar apply across the board.

A few general ideas that can apply to most professions:

1. The one-page resume is dead. Those were all the rage in the '90s, but today, employers want to know more about a candidate. If you have relevant information, flesh out the resume with it. Don't skimp on the info just to fit some arbitrary one-page limitation.

2. Zero tolerance for typos. Misspellings, grammatical errors, etc., give the impression that you are not detail-oriented. It sounds petty, but if a hiring manager has five resumes for one position, it's easy for that person to weed those out in the first round.

3. Leave out the "objectives" paragraph. This is better conveyed in a cover letter, which can be tailored to the employer and job at hand. Besides, they know what your immediate objective is--to get the job!

4. Sell yourself and what you have accomplished. Be descriptive with prior jobs. Use gerunds (action verbs) to better describe your role. Even if your last job was working the bottom rung at the local car wash, show on paper why that car wash found you to be a valuable employee and describe the professionalism you applied there.

5. Write a good cover letter to go with the resume and to personalize your contact with the company. Express how that company would be better off with you than without you. Be careful to downplay the things "you want." Instead, show some knowledge of the company and its needs. State your goals, but let them know what you bring to the table and how that will fit in with the needs they have.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

If I were your employer I would be interested in things like what certifications you have, if you are licensed to operate equipment in any way, what specific machines you've used and for how long, where you worked specifically and for what duration, the name and contact information of previous employers, how many people you have experience managing, what size of budget you have managed, any sort of production numbers you can provide, etc. If I were you, I would look at job postings for other breweries and tailor your resume to what they require. I'll often read "must be able to lift 55 pounds" in job requirements, so it could be beneficial to add information that they are asking about specifically. Additionally I saw that QA/QC was a small item on your resume. I would make that small line item its own major category and expound this with specific data.

In my lab I hire an assistant every once and a while(pretty similar in scope actually) and I can tell you for certain that with that professional overview paragraph you have at the beginning I would trash your resume. Drop that and focus on your strengths. If I was looking at this as potentially hiring an assistant I would want to see experience proving that you aren't afraid of dirty hard work and while contrary to popular opinion I would look to see if you have a diverse work history. Tells me you can learn easily and don't deal with bulls***. But that's just me. Otherwise all the other suggestions here were good.

Ditch the focus on homebrewing, put it in as a hobby/interest. They don't care about your homebrew or your thoughts on recipes or how you sanitize your stuff at home. They will teach you how to brew their beers the way they brew and how to clean the way they clean. You should highlight your welding and machining experience and your tow motor experience. Expect everyone applying to brew beer at home. Not everyone applying can drive a forklift and weld, two things which are extremely useful in a brewery.

Ok you missed the post where I said I fixed the spelling for some reason I typed it sweat wort when I was throwing together the resume on the builder I know it's sweet wort lol. I think I will have to rewrite the first paragraph since thts the consensus. I will have to sit down tonight and give it another shot

And thanks for all the responses guys really opened my eyes to resumes, this being my first one ever I just followed the guidelines that were on the layout. Again thanks again so much and I'll sit down and put down some more time in to it

good luck Fast

About a year ago Jamil and Palmer did a two episode Brew Strong podcast titled How to Get a Brew Job! I found it pretty interesting and think it would be good place to help you get your head in line with how an assistant brewer is going to evaluate a candidate.

The short version is they are not going to be interested in your ideas about recipe design or brewing procedures, ingredients or even sanitation, but are going to be interested in your ability to lift, clean, follow directions, fix things, troubleshoot etc. From their point of view it is a grunt job working long hard hours in exchange for a little bit of money (emphasis on little) and for learning how operate a brewery.

In reading your resume I remembered how welding was a specific skill they suggested highlighting, then found it way on the bottom of your page.

Latest posts

Back