Restoring beer glasses to "beer clean" state

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
Ok, we had a party last weekend and several of my beer glasses ended up in the dishwasher by mistake :drunk: Yeah, by mistake.

Now, we use that horrible Jet-Dry soap thing that leaves the glasses with a soapy residue to avoid water spots. Now the glasses ruin the head hardcore. I poured a beer just now and you could see the head scurrying from the edge of the glass and forming an island in the middle :(

I have tried rinsing them with hot water several times, but to no avail. At nearly 6-8$ a pop, I just don't want to throw half a dozen glasses away. Help me HBT !

Vinegar I thought I had read somewhere but never tried it. Also read somewhere to get the glass wet and then rub salt around on the glass to get rid of the residue. Never tried it but thought I had read that somewhere.

Do a salt water scrub on all of the glasses, inside. It's easy. Just wet each glass and sprinkle with salt. Then use your hand and "scour" each glass throughout the inside to the rim, and rinse well.

That will take off any residue, and leave the glasses "bar clean"!

Thanks for the tips ! I tried the salt scrub before with glasses and found the glasses still smudgy afterwards, but maybe I didn't scrub/rinse well enough.

An oxyclean soak will work or you can use a vinegar water solution and soak. Works on all my coffee stuff. Cheers.

You could try regular white toothpaste, not gel. I use it to clean my dive masks.

Just scrubbed one glass just now with coarse sea salt and a nylong brush. Gave it the treatment three times with a near boiling water rinse. I'll pour myself a beer later in the evening and update the thread. If it doesn't work, vinegar will be next.

UPDATE: The salt worked great. Great head and nice lacing after I took a gulp.

jfr1111 said:
Just scrubbed one glass just now with coarse sea salt and a nylong brush. Gave it the treatment three times with a near boiling water rinse. I'll pour myself a beer later in the evening and update the thread. If it doesn't work, vinegar will be next.

Good to know! Happy drinking

I was just musing whether PBW & a dobie would work as well with a good rinse afterward?

I don't see why not?

Also - as an FYI -I use dishwasher powder from Trader Joe's. It works quite well and I also find that pint glasses still do what they're supposed to do after cleaning them in the dishwasher. No lack of head retention or lacing. If you've got a TJ's nearby, give it a shot.

Boy, I hate to be the one who said "I told you so". But................:D

Try a cleaning paste consisting of 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 4 teaspoons of water. Take the paste and spread it on the inside of the glass, then using a bottle brush scrub the glass clean. After scrubbing, rinse the glass with cool water and let is air dry open-side down.

I also find some of my glasses get a golden sort of residue in the bottom. Just the ones with a narrow base I can't get the scrubber into.
So I figured the PBW would soak it out. Still gotta find that box of antique beer glasses to soak in a bucket of PBW. I'm beginning to hate pack ratted basements...

You might try Coke. I was an auto detailer for a few years and that's what I would use to take water spots off of windshields. If it's real bad use coke and steel wool.

HA! I didn't think many if any would remember the old Coke bit. We used to clean mildly rusted chrome bumpers with it.

You mean just a plain old hand washing wont remove the jet dry reisue? What does that do for our bodies? I put all my beer glasses and wine glasses in the dishwasher (no jet dry or additions just soap) and they come out sparkling and there is no problem with the heads.

From what I've learned,products like jet dry contain an Enzyme that's a kind of oily substance that coats things to make the water sheet off,leaving no spots. It's claimed that even some dish soaps have it in them. So no dish soap for anything to do with my beer.

I put my pint glasses in the dish washer with those cascade packs and just fill a cup up with vinager. The water in San Antonio sucks for spots, and they come out spot free with no issues of head retention.

I've been putting my glasses in the dishwasher from day 1, and I do use Jet Dry. Perhaps I'll start washing them by hand with some liquid dish soap? Is that the recommended method?

As I stated earlier,some dish soap have that enzyme in them too. I'd make sure it doesn't have anything listed to get rid of water spots,at least.

Has anyone tried that Dawn "with oxy" stuff? It works well for removing wallpaper...but I'll have to read the label to see about anything listed for water spots.

So what is the generally recommended method for regular cleaning of glasses after beer drinking use? Just use anything that doesn't claim to get rid of water spots?

Basically,yeah. Or one of the suggestions here. I squeeze the dish soap out of the micro fiber covered sponge we use. Then rinse the glass,scrub with wet scrubber,then rinse again & dry. Works pretty good so far.

I have some tulip glasses I wash by hand w/o detergent (too fragile for DW). My "shaker" pint glasses go in the dishwasher. I've never noticed a difference on lacing. Hard water and cheap detergent. Maybe I'm lucky? Or too stupid?

RDWHAHB said:
I have some tulip glasses I wash by hand w/o detergent (too fragile for DW). My "shaker" pint glasses go in the dishwasher. I've never noticed a difference on lacing. Hard water and cheap detergent. Maybe I'm lucky? Or too stupid?

Sadly some of mine make it in the dishwasher and I do not have a problem with head retention or lacing. There is jet dry in there too. I guess I'm lucky as well.

Get your Glass "Beer Clean" :: BeerNewb.com

"One of the easiest home methods is to create cleaning paste consisting of 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 4 teaspoons of water. Take the paste and spread it on the inside of the glass, then using a bottle brush (or if you are fancy you can buy an electric scrubbing brush) scrub the glass clean. After scrubbing, rinse the glass with cool water and let is air dry open-side down. You may have to repeat."

Back