Replace M.O. with biscuit and Munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
Had a thought to expand on BM's co3c with Maris Otter malt and some oats for a creamier, maltier beer. However, my dad loves the co3c and so I want to do a side by side comparison and here's my thoughts.

10 gallon mash of original cream of three crops recipe and split into two seperate boils. In one of the boils I steep some biscuit and Munich malt or perhaps Vienna and the oats.

I know you're probably wondering why I don't just steep MO the reason I think I can't do that is because at this point the 2-row is my base malt and I'm trying to get a feel for MO as the base malt. Perhaps I'm wrong and steeping say 3lbs of MO and 4 oz of instant oats is all I need to do.

I don't know, I'm totally lost on this splitting batches thing so far and I really only want to do a single mash and two boils.

It will work fine, and taste delicious.

MO is an English 2 row. It has a slightly different malt profile than american 2 row. Cream Ales are an American invention, so for style guidelines the recommended base would be 2 row. But for flavor I think you're thinking is great. I'd like to know how the final products come out. I am a fan of MO, and Vienna. I currently add oats to almost everything I brew. They are cheap and give a great creaminess.

It will work fine, and taste delicious.

MO is an English 2 row. It has a slightly different malt profile than american 2 row. Cream Ales are an American invention, so for style guidelines the recommended base would be 2 row. But for flavor I think you're thinking is great. I'd like to know how the final products come out. I am a fan of MO, and Vienna. I currently add oats to almost everything I brew. They are cheap and give a great creaminess.

I may have asked too many questions, because I'm unsure of your answer now, are u thinking to steep the Vienna and biscuit malt or to go ahead and steep 3 lbs or so of the MO? I think steeping MO would be better because if its really good I'm going to replace the us 2-row with MO as a base. But I had heard somewhere that Vienna or Munich and biscuit malt can be used as a substitution for MO. And that seems less redundant.

I think steeping MO would be better because if its really good I'm going to replace the us 2-row with MO as a base. But I had heard somewhere that Vienna or Munich and biscuit malt can be used as a substitution for MO. And that seems less redundant.

MO, Munich and Vienna need to be mashed, steeping isn't going to give you the same thing.

Rather than trying to substitute MO, why not just use MO?

I may be confused. Are you wanting to mash grains or steep them?

Vienna is my personal favorite. It can certainly be a substitute for mo. But you have to mash base grains. Steeping won't give you any real flavor. Corn rice and oats would be better choices for creaminess, IMHO.

Well I was trying to experiment with MO without doing two seperate mashes but I'm realizing now its going to be better to brew two seperate batches mash and all...

I'm thinking

6lbs MO
2 lbs instant grits
8oz instant rice
4oz instant oats

.5 oz Willamette (60 min)
.5 oz crystal (60 min)

Us-05

Recipe calls for flaked maize, grits were just more accessible when I brewed it the first time (5 min to grocery store vs 40 to lhbs) Now I just know what it tastes like with grits so I stick with them although flaked maize is cheaper.

Just bought the grains for the original version and my modified recipe

Hoping to do somewhat of a pepsi challenge

Just a side note. You can buy oats and other adjuncts cheaper at brewing sites / lhbs than you can at the grocery.

Just a side note. You can buy oats and other adjuncts cheaper at brewing sites / lhbs than you can at the grocery.

I found that out with flaked maize vs. Instant grits. However, I honestly only added the oats because swmbo happened to have them.

For the mo version you could call it clotted cream. ... cause you know England. ..

That's funny and it may just happen lol. I originally started brewing co3c for my dad and he can be short tempered at times so I named it "grouch azz"

:off:
<rant>Although it depends largely on your grocery store you shop at and the area you live in, my experience is quite different.

Flaked oats run $2.40 a pound at my LHBS ($2.20 for 5-10#). At Aldi's I can get a whole round box (42 oz) for around the same price ($2.69). Now if I go to some regular grocery store (not upscale) and buy fancy schmancy brand Quaker Oats, I'm out $6 or more, for the same round box, and probably the same oats inside. Store brands (generics) are typically 2/3s of that price.

Similar holds true for "grits" (of all things, come on!) and most other cereals. The more processed and magical the words (e.g., instant) and fancier the packaging, the smaller the amount of product and the higher the price. Often the packaging costs more than the contents.

BJs, Sam's, CostCo and other "wholesale clubs" may have better deals on larger, bulk packages, but MMV. </rant>

Back