Removing stuborn label glue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomVA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a tip I have learned over the years. Candle & Lamp Oil (liquid paraffin) cuts right through most label glue residues that are resistant to other solvents. Just dampen a paper towel and rub it off. It leaves a slight oily film on the bottle exterior, but this comes right off with glass cleaner. Much easier and more efficient than using a razor blade.

TomVA

Oxyclean has taken off every label I've tried it with. Just a 30 minute soak in hot water and the label comes off whole with no residue.

Oxyclean has taken off every label I've tried it with. Just a 30 minute soak in hot water and the label comes off whole with no residue.

I do this, and any labels that won't come off with this method go into the recycling...not worth much more effort than that.

Interesting thing about the liquid parrafin though...I wonder if that's basically what Goof Off is.

For paper labels, sure. But for some of those plastic labels eh. Even after you take the label off some of that adhesive just doesnt want to dissolve.

Next time i need to take labels off i'll remember to give this a try, thanks.

Pliny the Elder bottles have some pretty stubborn glue. They are worth the extra effort to me because they are 16.9 fl. oz.
I use goof off on these.

I'm with Auger. I soak in Oxyclean, because that is what I have, if the labels don't come off clean, those bottles get recycled and I try others. There is no sense in wasting time or effort or $$ to get stubborn labels off.

I'm with Auger. I soak in Oxyclean, because that is what I have, if the labels don't come off clean, those bottles get recycled and I try others. There is no sense in wasting time or effort or $$ to get stubborn labels off.

Same here. Way too many bottles out there to struggle getting labels off.

I do this, and any labels that won't come off with this method go into the recycling...not worth much more effort than that.

Interesting thing about the liquid parrafin though...I wonder if that's basically what Goof Off is.

Try the brillo pads with oxy clean and hot water. Ive been able to scrub off any glue or adhesive on a beer bottle.

Pliny the Elder bottles have some pretty stubborn glue. They are worth the extra effort to me because they are 16.9 fl. oz.
I use goof off on these.

I think you're being kind calling them "stubborn." ;)

Those things are nearly indestructible!

I once filled a bath tub with 3 cases and did a long hot PBW soak, and it didn't dent them. It was an hours-long epic battle filled with numerous expletives before I conquered the batch.

When I finally gave up bottling I provided clear instructions to the person I passed those on to that never under any circumstances can they throw them away.

About half of the bottles in my collection will not clean off with oxy. They are mostly the local ones around Halifax too.

Something's going on here, it's a consbeericy!!!

For stubborn plastic labels I use baking soda and a bit of cooking oil mixed together. Paint it on with a brush and let it sit awhile. Then some elbow grease and maybe a copper scrub. A lot of work yes, but only so many can be recycled until I run out.

LOL...90% of the bottles my home brew goes in still has the original labels on them..I am lazy...If the labels peel off after a quick(5-10 minute) sanitizing soak, that's great..If not, oh well, in goes the homebrew! :) They DO come off, eventually, after a couple of soaks, but I am not too worried about them being on there..Doesn't make my HB taste any different! That and the fact that I am the only one(predominantly) that will be drinking them, I don't care.. ;)

I collect bottles from friends and bars, so I get quite an assortment of brands. Most labels slid off easily after a soak in hot Oxiclean solution, but about 20% wouldn't budge, mostly plastic labels, and left behind a resistant gum from the glue. The lamp oil dissolved this right off, sparing me any scrubbing with copper or steel wool pads or razor blades.

There are many ways to skin this cat, lamp oil is just another option that works.

TomVA

I collect bottles from friends and bars, so I get quite an assortment of brands. Most labels slid off easily after a soak in hot Oxiclean solution, but about 20% wouldn't budge, mostly plastic labels, and left behind a resistant gum from the glue. The lamp oil dissolved this right off, sparing me any scrubbing with copper or steel wool pads or razor blades.

There are many ways to skin this cat, lamp oil is just another option that works.

TomVA

This is what I do...

First I crack a beer because this process sucks. I'm glad you only have to do it once.

Soak your bottles in hot water for about 15 mins

Take a 1-2 inch paint scraper to it to remove the label. You can get them at a big box hardware store for about $1

then take an oxy clean brillo pad to the bottle to remove the glue and excess label bits.

Rinse the bottle clean or dunk into a bucket of hot water to rinse

Repeat

I've always done this and it's really easy and goes pretty fast. I've never had any issues with anything following these steps.

Good luck. :tank:

I soak mine in oxy, like most here. If the label doesn't fall off then I toss the bottle in my recycle bin...have too many bottles as-is and not worth the effort to take any further steps.

And I never buy that beer again because in my mind they are a bunch of dicks who use those labels in the first place! :D

I soak mine in oxy, like most here. If the label doesn't fall off then I toss the bottle in my recycle bin...have too many bottles as-is and not worth the effort to take any further steps.

And I never buy that beer again because in my mind they are a bunch of dicks who use those labels in the first place! :D

lol right. I had a peoples porter that was quite good but they use those horrible plastic labels.

Doesnt make any sense either. Arent the plain ol' paper ones cheaper?

Hah, yeah, there was a local brewery that we used to joke that you could just breathe on their labels and they'd fall right off.

I guess we joked a little too hard as now I'm pretty sure they would survive a nuclear explosion.

Darn shame too as they have really nice bottles!

I soak them in oxyclean ammonia mixture... let soak for a day or two then rinse with hot water

Back