Removing fruit puree from aging sour ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlmbrwng

Reaction score
I decided to try aging sour beers on fruit puree from Vintner's Harvest. Seemed like a great idea, allowing all of the fruit to be exposed to the microbes. The cans come in 48 oz, and this seemed like a decent amount of fruit. (It wasn't really enough, but that's not the really the point of this thread.)

Now that the beer is done aging, I need to remove the fruit from the beer. I didn't think this part through. Right now, the beer is pretty cloudy with lots of fruit floating in it. I have already tried using one of those filters for water, but all that did was clog the filter and I had to throw the filter out. Any suggestions on how to remove puree from beer? If there is no good answer, I will likely use mashed fruit that I can more-easily remove from the beer.

I decided to try aging sour beers on fruit puree from Vintner's Harvest. Seemed like a great idea, allowing all of the fruit to be exposed to the microbes. The cans come in 48 oz, and this seemed like a decent amount of fruit. (It wasn't really enough, but that's not the really the point of this thread.)

Now that the beer is done aging, I need to remove the fruit from the beer. I didn't think this part through. Right now, the beer is pretty cloudy with lots of fruit floating in it. I have already tried using one of those filters for water, but all that did was clog the filter and I had to throw the filter out. Any suggestions on how to remove puree from beer? If there is no good answer, I will likely use mashed fruit that I can more-easily remove from the beer.
Not sure how the puree is (never bought any) I would have put it in a muslin bag so I could take it out easier. Cold crashing would probably improve clarity and make it easier to syphon the beer out and leave the fruit behind.

Maybe this will help:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Soured_Fruit_Beer#Filtering_and_Removing_Haze

Here's a photo of the stainless scrubby on the racking cane.
cane filter.jpg

Last edited:
at the risk of repeating what was said above, you should pursue two separate strategies:

1) cold-crash. get the beer cold, as close to freezing as possible, and give it some time. once took me almost two weeks for peach puree to fall out. move the carboy very gently after the fruit has fallen, very easy to stir up again.

2) put a screen/filter/scrubby/etc. on your racking tube (input). i have traditionally used a hop bag over the end of my racking cane, but at some point i need to try the scrubby.

the final part, i suppose, is to not get greedy. fruiting beer means losing beer. stop racking when you get close to the fruit layer.

Back