Reliability of Keezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saboral

Reaction score
So in my time time homebrewing ~6 years. I've been through 2 keezers. Both have just stopped cooling with the compressor running which I figure is a coolant leak down. Am I just unlucky or have others had reliability issues with DIY keezers? I'm debating between buying a new chest freezer to make the repair, or going ahead and buying a commercial front load unit.

I've been using upright freezers and they have worked well for me. I can fit two kegs without trying. You can go up to 6 with a little creativity. I also like the upright as I can put my brew that is in bottles and brewing ingredients in one place without pissing off SWMBO.

So in my time time homebrewing ~6 years. I've been through 2 keezers. Both have just stopped cooling with the compressor running which I figure is a coolant leak down. Am I just unlucky or have others had reliability issues with DIY keezers? I'm debating between buying a new chest freezer to make the repair, or going ahead and buying a commercial front load unit.

I've killed two of them, but both were craigslist buys of unknown age. The new one I built my keezer from has been going strong for about 5 years. That is outdoors in FL.

My recommendation is to always buy new if you're going to do much DIY changes to it. I've also got a large used one in the garage, but I'll keep buying used for that one because it's the fermentation fridge and gets zero mods.

Feel your pain. My kegerator just died a few days ago. So it will have to wait for a new one to be bought or to remodel my basement and re purpose a large freezer that is in my garage.

So I’m debating potentially getting a cool bot and just building a walk in room. This would be great not just for keg access and not having to lift kegs over the rim of the chest freezer, but I could build some bottle storage shelves. My only concern is that I’d have to listen to a window banger come on indoors when it’s in cooling.

I killed one by running it in a garage that hits 45F in the wintertime. Some just aren't rated to run in cold ambient temps due to how viscous the oil gets and the compressor can't take it.

I've gone through two refrigerators so I feel your pain. Both were used. One of them only cost me $50 and the other was free, and I was at least the 4th owner of it. Going to buy a new one this time.

There are some freezers/fridges that are rated for indoor/outdoor and some that aren't. I have a feeling the Texas summer killed my first two fridges.

Y'all are scaring me... lol I got a good deal on a used keezer about 3-4 years ago. It ran in my garage exposed to Texas heat for about 2 years and its been inside for that last 2. Still running strong so far knock on wood... I do have a fan inside keeping the air circulating, not sure if that has anything to do with longevity or not.

My first keezer was built on an 18 year old freezer I got for $100 off Craig's List.
It lasted 6 years before it bled out.
Went new with the replacement...

Cheers!

Update: Got lucky on marketplace and scored this bad boy for a couple hundred! Problem solved!

IMG_5420.jpg

Back