Rehydrating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfan86

Reaction score
So I know a lot of brewers don't do this and still have successful batches but I am choosing to rehydrate my dry yeast the next batch I make... So tht being said I've seen different instructions for this I have John palmers how to brew and read his way and have seen other ways as well online at home brewers.com on you tube and a video frm northern brewer basically I'm wondering if it makes tht much of a differance or if im good following any one of these sources ? I like to keep it simple since I'm a noob and no used to a lot of things tht come with brewing.. I'd appreciate any help

I've been following the directions on the yeast packet. I feel like the people who "made" the yeast should probably know how to use it best.

Doctor_Wily said:
I've been following the directions on the yeast packet. I feel like the people who "made" the yeast should probably know how to use it best.

Thanx, I've seen some say to follow directions on the packet but my last kit had no directions on the yeast packet. If it does next time ill definitely refer to tht

Boil some water for a few minutes to sanitize it- a cup is more than enough but I find it hard to boil a cup for a few minutes without too much boiling off. Let it cool to ~105F (+/- 5F) and add your yeast. Do not add any sugar or nutrients to the water- tap water is fine and do not use RO or distilled water. Let it sit for a few minutes- the yeast may foam or not. Usually it drops to the bottom and upon swirling looks creamy. Then you're ready to pitch.

I've been using 16.9 oz bottles of spring water (not distilled or RO). Pour off half, nicrowave the other half for a few seconds to raise to 90-105F, then dumping the packet into the bottle.

The lid allows you to shake and swirl. Make sure not to tighten the lid too much.

I usually do this once I get my chiller running after the boil.

I get some water boiling (maybe 1.5C) before chilling the wort. I just learned from reading PDF's on midwest site about rehydration temps. The generally excepted range is indeed 90-105F. I was going 75F,which was ok till the last brew which used US-05. Seems Cooper's ale yeast is more temp tolerant in this regard than US-05 is,even though they perform simularly. The last time,US-05 turned into yeast rafts on top of the wort after dropping only 10 points.
Oddly enough,by the time I got back from JW Dover getting another packet (about 30 minutes total),it had sunk back into the brew & slowly began again. It's my concidered opinion that the lower rehydration temp was responsable. I'll find out this weekend if all goes according to plan. It's been said that the higher rehydration temp makes the yeasts cell walls stronger while rehydrating. Lower temps apparently don't do as well with some yeasts compared to others.

Boil some water for a few minutes to sanitize it- a cup is more than enough but I find it hard to boil a cup for a few minutes without too much boiling off. Let it cool to ~105F (+/- 5F) and add your yeast. Do not add any sugar or nutrients to the water- tap water is fine and do not use RO or distilled water. Let it sit for a few minutes- the yeast may foam or not. Usually it drops to the bottom and upon swirling looks creamy. Then you're ready to pitch.

That's exactly hat I was doing, no issues. Found out though that just pitching it dry gave same results, at least for Fermentis brand that is the only I used so far, so I'm not re-hydrating anymore.

I contacted Danstar about how soon it should be pitched after rehydrating. The response: "Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot."

Thanx everyone. Yeah I've heard 95-105 degrees F is the range just heard different amounts of water in different directions some say a cup others say 1/2 a cup.. And as far steps some say let sit 15 then stir then sit another 15 and pitch some say just wait 5 min then pitch others recommend stirring twice.. Idk just found it odd to have different amounts of water and steps but this kinda helps clear it up.

Hoppyending said:
Not necessary to rehydrate. There is no difference.

You might not perceive a difference, but the viability is higher when you rehydrate. The difference in viability might not be enough to affect the final product, but it is there.

Personally, I can't notice a difference between dry-pitched and rehydrated batches. I did my due diligence and did several batches each way.

You might not perceive a difference, but the viability is higher when you rehydrate. The difference in viability might not be enough to affect the final product, but it is there.

Personally, I can't notice a difference between dry-pitched and rehydrated batches. I did my due diligence and did several batches each way.

Nope. No difference like i was saying. If the end result is the same. There is no difference. They have done tests on this showing no difference. I just to lazy to look them up.

Nope. No difference like i was saying. If the end result is the same. There is no difference. They have done tests on this showing no difference. I just to lazy to look them up.

There are two questions posed here: (1) does rehydration with water increase viability and (2) is there a perceivable difference in the finished products between rehydrated and dry-pitched yeast?

You are only responding to question 2, and perception is dependent on subject orientation. We both agree we can't perceive a difference in our finished products, but that doesn't mean question 1 is settled through our perceptions.

So, here's my evidence to support question 1; viability drops with rehydration in wort (as much as 50%), documented from three sources:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...3ED01667E0BD99.d04t03?v=1&t=ha2ode6g&f90ad15f

http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/rehydrating-dry-yeast-with-dr-clayton-cone/

http://www.fermentis.com/SHARED/Doc_60698.pdf

They have done tests on this showing no difference. I just to lazy to look them up.

Please, tell us who "they" are and provide your documentation.

Rehydration isn't meant to change the end product. It can't because it's still the same yeast. It's only done to cut lag time between the reproductive phase & the start of visible fermentation. It does increase viability of the cells if properly done in water from 90-105F for about 30 minutes vs being pitched dry into wort,which is said to weaken cell walls as they rehydrate & reproduce. That seems to be why dry yeast packets have more cells in them then liquid.

There are two questions posed here: (1) does rehydration with water increase viability and (2) is there a perceivable difference in the finished products between rehydrated and dry-pitched yeast?

You are only responding to question 2, and perception is dependent on subject orientation. We both agree we can't perceive a difference in our finished products, but that doesn't mean question 1 is settled through our perceptions.

So, here's my evidence to support question 1; viability drops with rehydration in wort (as much as 50%), documented from three sources:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...3ED01667E0BD99.d04t03?v=1&t=ha2ode6g&f90ad15f

Well you posted one of them. In the end they state no difference. You can kill more cells improperly re hydrating. So if all is perfect in rehydration then sure..... But how do you know it worked? See my point. Its not worth re hydrating. I see your point as you see mine. Its a game of chance both ways... Except damaged cells in wort can recover. They can't in water at the wrong temp or if the water has toxins that can't be boiled out.

Just FYI I love this subject. I am not trying to be rude. I just see the plus from doing it to the positives of not are pretty equal.

I always rehydrate in a pyrex 2C measure with 1-1.5C of boiled water cooled to 75F-ish covered with plastic wrap & a quick check thermometer inserted. Dang quick checks kept goin south for some reason. I always thought 90-105F was too hot & shied away from that. Now I question the lower temp as of my last brew (1st pm 10/9). 10 points knocked off & yeast raft city. But by the time I'd gotten back with another packet of US-05,it sank back in & had maybe 3/8" of krausen going.
Dangdest thing I ever saw. Only happened that one time. Gotta get a digital temp probe & we'll try it at the recommended temps & see what happens.
I've even rehydrated Cooper's 7g ale yeast packets with a tsp or two of dextrose & had it going mad in 30 minutes. A few hours in the fermenter & it was moby dick.

The third link in particular makes for some really interesting reading. Thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Back