Rehydrated Wrong Yeast - How long will it last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinomyte

Reaction score
Yesterday in preparation for pitching my yeast I accidently hydrate my package of Munich instead of the Nottingham like I intended to. I did not want the Munich in my IPA so I just rehydrated the nottingham like I intended and continue on.

My question is how long will the reydrated munich last? I don't intend on brewing a wheat for a month or two so I would like to put it in the fridge until then but will the yeast just go dormant or will they start dying off? It's in a sterilized glass ball jar & lid with water that's been boiled so I'm not too worried about contamination but just the health of the yeast.

Did a forum but couldn't find a thread on how long rehydrated yeast would last.

How much yeast is it?
If it is more then your willing to throw away you can try to make a starter when you need it
Or you can make a small batch of wheat beer from extract and save the slurry

if it is one or two packs I dont think it will last werry long, so mayne just add to boil as yeast nutrient

The rehydrated yeast won't survive too long without sugar. If you pitch it to a starter soon, then you can build up a nice yeast cake and store it in the fridge. I've read these starters can stay in the fridge for a month (as the yeast goes dormant), but I've never done it.

@janivar - It's only an 11 gram pack but I'd hate to waste it.

@eckythump - So if I were to make a starter out of it tonight (approx 24 hours after rehydration) I could then transfer it back to a sterile container and refrigerate for longer term storage? i.e. a month or so.

Just take what you have, put it in a clean mason jar, cover it with foil, and throw it in the fridge. It should be viable for a month or so. To be safe, you may want to make a starter, but I'm betting it will be just fine.

Back