Regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
Hey All,

Can someone tell me the difference between these:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=462

and

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Components:Regulators:Taprite:Secondary

The first is an upgrade to a "dual body" regulator, the second is just the secondary regulators.

I'm looking to have a setup with 4 different pressures:

1) Serving seltzer water
2) Backup seltzer
3) Force carb
4) Beer serving

#4 would then be split into 4 lines

I'm just trying to figure out what I need, and the dual-body seems to have 2 outputs, but I'm not sure why that is cheaper than a secondary.

Can anyone clue me in??

Thanks!

Kosch

The first link is to a $35 upgrade (on a complete kit price) to take a single body primary regulator to a dual body. The second link is to multi-body secondary regulators. Pretty much apples and oranges.

Secondary regulators require an upstream primary regulator. If you wanted four different pressures, you could get a single body primary and a four-body secondary set; or a dual primary and a three-body secondary.

Either way, the all-up cost will run at least a couple hundred dollars: a dual-primary Taprite is $110 and a three-body Taprite secondary runs $150, so call it $260. You could knock around $50 off that combination by going with Chudnow regulators...

Cheers!

Seltzer can both be off the same regulator, since they'd both require the same pressure. Force carbing should be done at serving pressure, so that and actual serving can both be done with one regulator. You can seal keg lids using the seltzer line also. If it was me, I'd run a single body primary at about 30 psi into a 3 way manifold. Two lines from that would go to seltzer, the third would go to a secondary regulator at beer serving pressure and into another manifold that splits to however many kegs of beer you want to serve.

The first link is to a $35 upgrade (on a complete kit price) to take a single body primary regulator to a dual body. The second link is to multi-body secondary regulators. Pretty much apples and oranges.

Cheers!

Thanks day_trippr! I guess I just don't know what the point of the dual body is?? Probably doesn't matter since I will need the secondaries, but I'm naturally curious :)

Seltzer can both be off the same regulator, since they'd both require the same pressure. Force carbing should be done at serving pressure, so that and actual serving can both be done with one regulator. You can seal keg lids using the seltzer line also. If it was me, I'd run a single body primary at about 30 psi into a 3 way manifold. Two lines from that would go to seltzer, the third would go to a secondary regulator at beer serving pressure and into another manifold that splits to however many kegs of beer you want to serve.

masonjax: I appreciate the info. I had read a few places here though that seltzer should be served at a higher pressure. And also, force carbing quicker would need a higher pressure as well, so that was my reason for that.

Thanks!

Kosch

masonjax: sorry, I actually meant burst carbing, I wanted to have one output available in case I'm in a rush and need/want to burst carb. Wasn't getting my terms straight!

Kosch

Patience is a virtue. If you rush the carb process, you'll be on here asking why your beer has too much head but tastes flat, or why it has a funny metallic taste (carbonic bite). However, if you insist, that can also be done at seltzer pressure, so either way you can get away with two regulators.

A dual body is just two regulators on one rail. Not much different in the end from a primary and separate secondary.

Latest posts

Back