Regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
I noticed that when my regulator and co2 are outside of the kegerator the total co2 level is higher then when in the kegerator. When it is inside it is reading right at the beginning of the red level where it says I must refil. I haven't even gone through 2 kegs on this 5 pound co2.

Does it say this because the co2 bottle and regulator are in the cold kegerator?

Hope it doesn't change the psi level either while being in there.

The gas inside the tank will expand and contract with changes in temperature.
Normal.
You make want to soap all your joints just to be absolutely sure you don't have any leaks.

I sprayed everything with sanitizer to check for leaks and that seemed fine.

Don't want to have to run the regulator on the outside but maybe I will have to.

...Don't want to have to run the regulator on the outside but maybe I will have to.

Don't want to but may have to?
No, you don't have to.

My whole tank set up has been inside my kegerator for years! Yes, it reads lower - a lot lower! but it sits on the hump, out of the way, and never in the way on the outside!
very convenient.

What temp is the kegerator set to?

As already mentioned, compressed gases volumes are impacted by the temperature of their surroundings. I'm not exactly sure at what point (temperature wise) the effect becomes minimal (haven't tested it yet) but I would suspect that if you have the kegerator set to 40F, it will read a lot lower than if you had it outside, at 60-70F...

I'm not exactly sure where I'll be keeping my CO2 tank just yet, when I setup my keezer. But, I suspect I'll have it outside so that I have more room for beer (either in kegs, or bottles). I'm also planning on having at least one spare CO2 tank on hand (and full) for when the tank the beer is on goes dry.

Don't want to but may have to?
No, you don't have to.

My whole tank set up has been inside my kegerator for years! Yes, it reads lower - a lot lower! but it sits on the hump, out of the way, and never in the way on the outside!
very convenient.

I just wanted to be able to accurately know when I would have to refill the co2 that it is.

My kegerator is around 40 I believe.

Back