Regulator Needle Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I kegged my newest beer, yesterday, and the needle wouldn't move as I adjusted the screw. I pulled the screw all the way out and released pressure, but it was still reading around 25 psi. After much fidgiting, I gave a good flick with my finger, and it dropped to zero. From there, I adjusted it up to 15, then put CO2 on my beer. This morning, it was reading around 25 again. I flicked it, and it went back to 15. Can the needles be greased or adjusted?

Some can be adjusted, but it sounds like your gauge (not necessarily the regulator) may need to be replaced. Look at the face of the gauge, if it's adjustable, there should be a small slot to adjust with a small flat bladed screwdriver. If so, with all pressure released, adjust the needle to dead zero.
Unfortunately, it sounds like yours is sticking, not "out of calibration". <$10 for a replacement gauge and you should be back up and going.

Maybe the needle is bent and hitting the dial? If it is, GENTLY bend it out. Otherwise, new gauge time.

Gauge faces are often made of paper/cardboard and can warp if exposed to moisture (ala the inside of a keezer/kegerator)...

Cheers!

Back