Regulator Creeping Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppeg34

Reaction score
After a somewhat frustrating first week kegging, I think I have narrowed down the culprit of some issues I was having. I have taken the CO2 tank and cylinder out of the keezer and let them stabilize, disconnected from any kegs. Now when I purge the lines of gas pressure and dial the regulator all the way back to 0 I can walk back about 5 minutes later and the regulator will point to about 40 psi. I can purge the lines again and it will still end up again 5 minutes later at 40 psi.

Why is my regulator constantly creeping up, even when completely dialed back?

Could I have a faulty regulator?

Is there anything I could possibly be overlooking?

You guys really are saving me in all of my kegging efforts. At least the beer inside is good!

Mine did that when I force carbed. I think the higher pressure in the keg was forcing back to the regulator causing it to go high. Now I just set it and forget it for two weeks and no issues.

Thats exactly what I thought initially. But I have disconnected the gas from the keg and its still doing the same thing.

Thats exactly what I thought initially. But I have disconnected the gas from the keg and its still doing the same thing.

You have the regulator hooked up to a different keg, and it's still creeping up? That doesn't make sense to me at all, so it could be a problem with the regulator. Can you release the pressure on the regulator by triggering the blow off valve, to get it to go back to 0? Do you have the lines "closed" with a shut off valve?

I suspect that you overcarbed the first keg, by shaking or turning the gas above 12 psi? If so, you have to keep "un-overcarbing" the keg until you get it below 40 psi by pulling the pressure relief valve often (like many times per day) until it's not overcarbed any more.

Latest posts

Back