refining my setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite

Reaction score
Trying to refine my boil kettle setup so I can hit my bottling volume targets. So what do you predict your boil kettle trub loss volume is (with whirlpool and/or without whirlpool?) Do you keep this constant or is it dependent on volume and form of hops? If you whirlpool how long do you wait for the trub to settle?

Btw has anybody thought about weighing there fermenter for accurate volumes for carbonation? I imagine there is a formula for this based on the worts specific gravity.

Do you have a sight glass in your boil kettle? I think this would solve a lot of your issues. I keep my volumes pretty constant, but assume for a slight extra loss when doing really hoppy beers.

I am planning on putting in a ball valve in my boil kettle and want to find how close to the bottom to place my pickup and avoid pulling trub and whatnot into my fermenter. No sight glass.

Trying to refine my boil kettle setup so I can hit my bottling volume targets. So what do you predict your boil kettle trub loss volume is (with whirlpool and/or without whirlpool?) Do you keep this constant or is it dependent on volume and form of hops? If you whirlpool how long do you wait for the trub to settle?

Btw has anybody thought about weighing there fermenter for accurate volumes for carbonation? I imagine there is a formula for this based on the worts specific gravity.

I predict my boil kettle trub loss to be zero. I dump it all into the fermenter and let it settle out and compact there. Much less loss that way.:rockin:

Experiments with both whirlpooling and just dumping it all into the fermenter have concluded that the taste is the same but with whirlpooling there is less beer.:(

I bag my hops then squeeze out most of the wort. I then pour all but the thickest into the fermenter, leaving a cup or two behind. Thus I just collect enough for boil off. I am always within 1/4 gallon of 5.25 gallon goal when finished.

About 7.3 gallons into the BK = 5 - 5.5 gallons into the fermenter which puts 5 gallons into my keg. I sometimes have up to 1/2 gallon extra. I usually just toss it. (not worth the effort to prime and bottle. Maybe someday I will buy some carbonation tabs and use it.)

I am planning on putting in a ball valve in my boil kettle and want to find how close to the bottom to place my pickup and avoid pulling trub and whatnot into my fermenter. No sight glass.
I use a very simple dip tube surrounded by a SS scrubber pad. I only lose the physical break material and what is absorbed by the hops. It does require me to use a portion of leaf hops in every boil.

Back