Reducing the tartness of an aged cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theIrish

Reaction score
I'm not totally happy with how a cider I made last year has turned out. I can't quite decide what the defect is, it just seems too tart. (But maybe its too acidic? It kind of hurts the teeth). I started with 5 gallons of unpasteurized juice from an orchard, added 2 pounds of light brown sugar, 2 pounds of honey, yeast nutrient and WLP775. I racked it off the lees at 5 months old.

Everyone's recommendation on the forums for "too tart" is that its too young and it needs to age. Its been aging for 11 months...

I kegged it last night and I'm hoping that a couple weeks on gas will help it. I am planning to serve it at a family get-together in a few weeks.

It does smell and taste nicely like apples but what else can I do to make it more enjoyable? (less biting)

Try back sweetening it? At this point the yeast is likely dead and you don't need to worry about restarting the fermentation. The Caramel cider recipe in this forum is quite excellent and easy to do.

Back