Red Light on Auber SSR. What is going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score

20150628_095603.jpg

20150628_095647.jpg

20150628_095710.jpg

I'm no expert, but the red light means the relay is active (i.e. the circuit is closed or "on", so power is flowing). If you don't have the wiring screwed up, it could be a bad SSR that's failed in the closed position.

Check to make sure your DC voltage isn't being supplied when the panel is powered on. Or maybe just pull the SSR and bench-test it with a DC power supply or even just a 9V battery with a couple of test leads to the SSR terminals.

I would first make sure the load is properly connected, and if it is an element, put in in a position where it will not burn up (liquid in its pot). Then check the input voltage to the SSR. If it is below the SSR's trigger voltage (~3V) and the SSR is on, it's had failed. Sometimes these fail and put out only partial power to the load, so do not take any chances and replace it if it is not behaving properly.

-BD

If you don't already have a multimeter, get one of the freebies from Harbor Freight. Not the greatest ever, but will get you started.

Barring improper wiring, unless the PID output has failed closed (that is one reason for using a contactor/relay between the SSR and element) I would expect that there is enough leakage current through the PID to light the LED.

If you don't have the element connected to the circuit, there is enough current leakage to cause the LED to light on my system. When I plug in the element to the power circuit, that LED does go out. That light in your photo should flash on and off as the SSR switches the element power on and off.

Latest posts

Back