red cedar cider press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krausen89

Reaction score
so I tweaked my cider press and decided to use a different method. instead of using my stainless steel stock pot. I decided to use some lattice in between the cheese but it is red cedar and I didn't even think it would flavor the cider....should I not be drinking this or is it fine to drink and will just taste like cedar? I have tons more apples and pears just wanted to test this method and I liked it a lot better than the basket version so this was really just a test. hopefully someone has some insight on how this finished product will turn out. thanks! :pipe:

Well now I know. You are in uncharted territory here. New barrels give off a very woody flavor, it does settle down after a few years. That is after fermentation usually so maybe fermentation will help settle the flavor.

i sure hope so! either was it was pretty good. just not really a fan of the cedar taste. i have read about some people aging beers on cedar....but i only used it to press....who knows maybe it will be the start of a new tradition!

Back