Red Bull vs. Old Ox Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfej50

Reaction score
We have a local craft brewery call Old Ox Brewery. Its name comes from a local road, Old Ox Road, where it had planned to locate. Recently, they found themselves in a trademark war when Red Bull, the energy drink maker, decided that an Ox was too close to a Bull and that people might confuse a quality craft beer with a mass marketed energy drink. I wish to declare my objection. I have no affiliation with Old Ox Brewery other than visiting it as a customer one time. Right now, big-pocket corporations have no down-side to engaging in these ridiculous trade wars unless publicizing these antics starts impacting their market. Thus, I'm trying to get the word out. As lovers of great beer, I hope you will join me in publicizing this corporate heavy-handed action.

I heard about this too. What really grates me about most of these suits is the corporation claiming that their consumers are too stupid to tell the difference. It really makes me feel great as a person who occassionally drinks their product :rolleyes:

Old Ox makes some great beers and Chris, the owner, is awesomely kind enough to allow us to hold our homebrew club meetings in his tasting room.

it's just a shame he has to spend time, energy and money fighting this legal redbullsh!t instead of expanding and improving his brewery.

fortunately, he has the support of local businesses (some of whom have stopped selling Red Bull) and Chamber of Commerce plus craft brew fans and homebrewers, not just from Loudoun County, but from all over the US and overseas (blog post from a Ukrainian ex-pat living in Prague, Czech Republic)

articles in the WaPo, NY Times, ChiTrib and even on in Perth, Australia.

doing my part and gonna go get another growler of Oxplorer #3 tonight, maybe another bomber of the chocolate porter

#RedBullOut

Okay, nobody but my fellow MLS nerds get that reference. Seems dumb, I'll sign the petition.

Latest posts

Back