Red Baron Bottle Capper.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
My dark blue Royal Crown Wing Bottle Capper (came with NB kit) finally started breaking bottle necks after about 400 bottles. Just ordered (2) Red Baron wing cappers from Amazon last week for $7.50 each. This way I have a spare one in case the first one breaks.

Anyways, can I expect the Red Baron to last about as long as the Royal Crown? Has anyone here used a Red Baron for years without breakage? Thanks!

I have one that I have bottled at least 500 cases with. Just keeps on going.

I have a second one that I reversed the metal plate that grabs the neck for bottling Belgians and that one has done a lot of bottles also.

I hope my last for that long if I don't switch to legging before that.

You'll still bottle beers if you switch to kegging--at least I'll bet that you do.

I have relatives visiting for Thanksgiving. They'll go home w/ at least a six-pack of my brews, if not a 12-pack. In bottles. :)

And I bottle for use in other contexts; our block party back in August, the monthly poker game, to kill a keg w/ only a little more beer left in it so I can use it for something else in the fermenter....

My dark blue Royal Crown Wing Bottle Capper (came with NB kit) finally started breaking bottle necks after about 400 bottles. Just ordered (2) Red Baron wing cappers from Amazon last week for $7.50 each. This way I have a spare one in case the first one breaks.

Anyways, can I expect the Red Baron to last about as long as the Royal Crown? Has anyone here used a Red Baron for years without breakage? Thanks!
I looked at your old capper on the NB site, and I have to admit, I don't see how it could be breaking bottle necks from "being old" - all wing cappers work on the same premise - rest on the cap, pinch the collar of the bottle, apply downward pressure. Unless your old capper is actually broken somehow (which I would think would be pretty obvious), the problem isn't with the capper. In my experience (and I've bottled for over 20 years) the problem is with the bottles. I, like most of us, prefer to recycle commercial bottles rather than buy new ones, and over time those recycled bottles can snap. Two batches ago I snapped two necks - both the tall narrow-necked bottles from Deschutes. The last batch nothing broke (more usual).

I recently gave away my Emily capper to a brewing friend, as I had been given a Red Baron and, to my hands, it felt stouter. But, like I said, I had used the Emily for nearly 20 years.

You'll still bottle beers if you switch to kegging--at least I'll bet that you do.

I have relatives visiting for Thanksgiving. They'll go home w/ at least a six-pack of my brews, if not a 12-pack. In bottles. :)

And I bottle for use in other contexts; our block party back in August, the monthly poker game, to kill a keg w/ only a little more beer left in it so I can use it for something else in the fermenter....

You are probably right but I will probably use it a lot less then. Filling and capping bottle is not what I don't like. It's washing them buggers that drives me crazy.

I have one that I have bottled at least 500 cases with. Just keeps on going.

I have a second one that I reversed the metal plate that grabs the neck for bottling Belgians and that one has done a lot of bottles also.

Thanks for the reply. Just curious if you feel like the handles (wings) bend a lot while capping. Almost feels like they could snap...is this normal?

And, do lubricate Red Baron with anything? Thanks!

I bottled for 4 years before switching to kegging about 12 months ago. kept 4 cases of bottles in the basement "just in case". the real issue for me was emotional connection. I tried several times unsuccessfully to find a "good home" for the bottles. I had invested many hours in removing labels, rinsing, sanitizing, ETC. It seemed somehow dishonest to toss those longtime friends to the curb so unceremoniously. I finally did the final 4 cases and haven't looked back since.

I purchased a Red Baron capper from NB in 1996. I have used it since, probably bottling an average of 2-3 batches a year without issue.

Thanks for the reply. Just curious if you feel like the handles (wings) bend a lot while capping. Almost feels like they could snap...is this normal?

And, do lubricate Red Baron with anything? Thanks!

Yup!
I have a few cappers, and the all-plastic ones (Red Baron, etc.) do flex quite a bit when exerting pressure on them to crimp the caps. I don't like that spongy feeling either, but it seems to work fine.

My favorite one has an all metal mechanism (arms) with just a few pieces of plastic here and there where it doesn't count. From the capper's feedback you just know when the cap has been set. The only thing is, it leaves a small, dime sized dimple in the middle of the cap.

I don't think the Red Baron needs lubrication, plastic is "self lubricating." If it feels there's a lot of friction, maybe dunk it in water or Starsan.

After I started kegging, I haven't done much bottling anymore.

Latest posts

Back