Red ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
Still fairly new to making my own recipes but here's what I have for a red ale I'd like to make. Let me know what you think:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 19
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Maris Otter
1.00 lb Corn, flaked
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal malt (120.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal malt (60 SRM)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.90 lb Roasted Barley (300 SRM)
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast 1084)

I'm also considering adding some spices to this to give it that "holiday ale" feel. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, stuff like that. Suggestions on what to use and how much to use?

the base looks ok for an american red...often the american version is a bit hoppier....but I like low hops so i'm pro what you have going on!

If you use spices, make sure they are fresh....super fresh! nothing worse than stale cinnamon taste. also keep in mind that you if you think you've used enough, it's to much.....Add the spices into the secondary, and I like to mix up my (whatever additive) and then do a mini taste test to figure out the ratio. get some small measuring devices and figure out how much you need to add to get it to taste the way you want. If your adding spices you want the spices added, a very short wait and drink quickly as the spices will alter over time (and IMHO not in a good way).

Right off the bat 1.9 lbs of roast barley looks way wrong. It should be 3 or 4 % of the total grist, if using the 300L, maybe 2% if using the 500L. Thats going to make a stout.

Right off the bat 1.9 lbs of roast barley looks way wrong. It should be 3 or 4 % of the total grist, if using the 300L, maybe 2% if using the 500L. Thats going to make a stout.

I'm just going off Beersmith, but the color was spot on for this one. Will the 300L give it stout body?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

Looking at that recipe it could do with some slight changes, especially the 1.9 lbs of roasted barley....looks like a typo and should have been 0.19 lbs right?

Anyway with the crystal malts I would put them like this:

0.75 lbs Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs Crystal 120L
0.25 lbs Carapils
0.19 lbs Roasted Barley

Personally Id drop the carapils for this style, you will get enough body from the amount of crystal malts as they already have unfermentables from the kilning process.

The hops - Swap them around and get that up to ~ 32-35ibu. You mentioned a spice character from other additions, use the Willamette for some of that character @ Flameout

Cascade FWH - 15ibu
Cascade @ 20m - 15ibu
Willamette @ Flameout - 10mins hopstand ~ 3-5ibu

http://beerlegends.com/willamette-hops

Back