recycling a fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inodoro_Pereyra

Reaction score
Ok, so I have this fermenter from my winemaking days. 6 gallon plastic bucket, with lid and spigot. Never made a drop of wine in it (I used 2 gallon buckets, and carboys).
But then, about 7 or 8 months ago, way before deciding to start brewing, I put it to use, for storing my liquid soap.
So it's been half full with scented, biodiesel glycerin liquid soap for all this time.
Now, I just emptied it, washed it thoroughly, and half filled it with water. I plan on changing the water daily for a week or so, and then dropping in a gallon of white vinegar, and filling it with water, and leaving it like that for a few days.

Do you guys think that should be enough to get rid of any odours that might contaminate my brew?
If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance. :)

If it's not scratched and there aren't any odors from the soap/vinegar (I wouldn't advise the vinegar.) then it should be fine. BUT, is it worth your time to clean a $10.00 bucket to that extent?

To clean it I'd do a hot oxiclean or PBW soak maybe 2-3 times, then do a Star-San soak for a day or so. If it doesn't smell after that you should be good to go.

Thank you Wyzazz.
The bucket has never been used, so it's interior is spotless. It does, however, smell like the soap right now.
At this moment, money is very tight, and time is the one thing I have plenty of, so yeah, it's worth it. Will get the oxyclean tonight. thanks again. :)

Back