Recommendations on propane burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
What propane burner would you guys recommend that would support a 20 gallon brew kettle for brewing 10 gallon batches? Thanks!

I got mine from AIH a few years ago, I think it's 200,000 btu. It will work but some of the cheaper may not. It was round $80. I don't think any of the cheaper burners will do it very well. Not having a pump has prevented me from 10 gal, consider that too. Lifting everything.

I like the quiet aspect of my Edelmetall burner and the banjo style burner heats well enough. I can't recommend it though... was disappointed with a few quality issues that I had to fix (some of the burner jets needed to be drilled out). The needle valve on the burner adjustment is just too touchy so I use the regulator to adjust flame height. What drove my decision to purchase this burner initially was the height with the leg extensions installed, I have a 3-tier system and was trying to build to a certain height. In hind sight I could have spent a few extra bucks on a Blichman burner, plus the leg extensions, and modified them to achieve the same burner height I was looking for. Lot's of folks rave about them Blichmans to be sure!

I do 10 gallon batches in a keggle with the Bayou Classic KAB6 and I love it. The burner is nearly silent and very efficient with propane. I don't really understand how/why people get so fanatical about the Blichmann burner. The burner itself is the exact same banjo burner that you see elsewhere, it just has a fancier, shinier stand. If that's your thing, go for it but know that you're definitely paying a premium for the Blichmann name. When I did a price check right now comparing the KAB6 on Amazon to the Blichmann burner on Homebrewsupply, the Blichmann was $63 more expensive after shipping. The bling factor definitely isn't worth $63 to me.

It's not bling. It's the difference between a stainless steel cooker and a piece of sheet metal. I know which one I'll still have in 15 years. If you're getting it just for the banjo to put somewhere else, sure, save some money.

Bought a Blichmann recently. Never looking back. Did heavy research prior to purchasing and it really seems like it's worth the money, even over burners that look comparatively similar, i.e. banjo burners.

I've seen the KAB6 in action at my LHBS and it's nice. Very quiet.

I have the SQ14 I bought last fall.

Are the Blichmann's and KAB6 really that much more efficient than the SQ14?

What's the difference in time to heat water between the two?

It's been a couple years since I switched, but I remember a bunch of giggling and laughing at the difference. I threw my SQ14 away after that session.

Just bought a blichmann with legs for my 15g kettle going from sq14 after 2years brewing.
First run on blichmann was crazy.

I BIAB so getting to my mash temp saved about 20minutes and any fine temp adjustments were very easy to do during mash.
The boil time also came quick and fast.
I recommend the legs for sure as they are the perfect height to transfer from bk to ferm.

The only downside i could see was that my boil off rate seemed to double this first run. Im usually at 1.25g/hr with the sq14 and the blichmann boiled off close to 2gallons during my 60min boil :confused:

It's been a couple years since I switched, but I remember a bunch of giggling and laughing at the difference. I threw my SQ14 away after that session.

Seriously? Wow!

Just bought a blichmann with legs for my 15g kettle going from sq14 after 2years brewing.
First run on blichmann was crazy.

I BIAB so getting to my mash temp saved about 20minutes and any fine temp adjustments were very easy to do during mash.
The boil time also came quick and fast.
I recommend the legs for sure as they are the perfect height to transfer from bk to ferm.

The only downside i could see was that my boil off rate seemed to double this first run. Im usually at 1.25g/hr with the sq14 and the blichmann boiled off close to 2gallons during my 60min boil :confused:

Very interesting. Doesn't seem like the boil off would be affected as long as your boil is the same degree of vigor.

Did I say that right?

I stir my wort while I chill with an immersion chiller. Being elevated would make that harder, I would think.

The burner is quieter, looks like it's got a lower flame, but was seriously boiling a lot faster. It felt ... I don't know, like finally having a screwdriver after trying to beat screws in with a hammer forever. I want to say we used about 25% less propane on a breezy day.

I noticed the faster boil-off too. I think the entire bottom gets going rather than a smaller circle? Who knows, definitely gets a better boil going. When you are boiling 10 gallons batches in a keggle you can make yourself some exciting times with boilovers.

About the only thing that I did not like was the regulator was "backwards." That took getting used to. I tuned it up a few times when I thought I was turning it down and vice versa.

I recommend http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-deluxe-fryer-stand?repChildCatid=27742. With an upgraded regulator ( I have 30 psi regulator). Has a TON of BTU's, it's cheap, and once you get it boiling if you turn it way down it's as efficient as I'll care for it to be. The stand is plenty sturdy at least for me anyways, although I do have to say it will probably only last 15 years whereas the Blichmann might last 20 !! Oh and the Blichmann might save you about a dollar or two per brew... Definitely not as shiny, no contest.

......It felt ... I don't know, like finally having a screwdriver after trying to beat screws in with a hammer forever...........

Pretty much spot on with the analogy.

The SQ14 I had was good for what it was, but nothing like my Blichmann. I think I can get about 2-3 extra brew sessions with current burner than I could with the SQ14. I would say the KAB6 is probably in the same ballpark efficiency wise as the Blichmann (should be if it's the same burner), but I didn't like the idea of having to burn paint off again before initial use (waste of gas imo), plus watching it rust little by little with each brew session just. I can also add mine to a Top Tier if I want to go that route in the future.

Both burners are a hell of a lot quieter. That's what I liked most about it. I don't feel like I have to shout at friends who come over on Brew Day.

I just got the KAB6. I was going to get the Blichmann but my LHBS had a used-once KAB6 for 20% off and I get an additional 10% for being an AHA member. So essentially the same burner as the Blichmann, with the paint already burned off, for half the price. No brainer.

As for comparisons to other non-Blichmann burners: I had a Bayou Classic jet burnerwhich could maybe get two all gain ten gallon batches done with one tank of propane. Maybe. I've done two all gain 10 gallon batches and have over half a tank of propane remaining. It's much quieter, has much better control, and holds my 25 gallon pot much better.

If I was paying full price is probably get the Blichmann for the bling and the durability. But for pure functionality I couldn't see paying twice the price in my case. Plus I'm supporting my LHBS.

Another +1 to blichmann. I'm in love with how quiet it is, and it's very fuel efficient. I'm already at 3 10gal batches (and that's with heating ALL water/wort on it) on a single propane tank, with gas to spare.

Back