Recommend a yeast- Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
Looking for yeast recommendations for a trippel. I haven't brewed many Belgians, so I'm looking for a little advice since I can't make up my mind by reading the descriptions from White Labs and Wyeast.

Not a fan of banana esters. That's number one. I plan to make this beer dry and use primarily pils malt and sugar leaving it up to the carbonation to provide body. I'll be looking for a good attenuator. I'd like to stay away from earthiness, but spiciness is welcomed... either from some late addition saaz, the yeast or both. I don't mind a little fruitiness such as plum or apple but those should be background at most. Citrus is fine.

Thoughts? Maybe even a blend of saison yeast and something from one of the monks?

3787 is a good choice for a triple. Can be fruity, but not banana. Let it age for >6 months and you'll have a tasty beer my friend.

I usually use wlp500 trapist, and was going to recommend that, until I noticed that you don't like esters (even though a certain amount is correct for the style).

Looking for yeast recommendations for a trippel. I haven't brewed many Belgians, so I'm looking for a little advice since I can't make up my mind by reading the descriptions from White Labs and Wyeast.

Not a fan of banana esters. That's number one. I plan to make this beer dry and use primarily pils malt and sugar leaving it up to the carbonation to provide body. I'll be looking for a good attenuator. I'd like to stay away from earthiness, but spiciness is welcomed... either from some late addition saaz, the yeast or both. I don't mind a little fruitiness such as plum or apple but those should be background at most. Citrus is fine.

Thoughts? Maybe even a blend of saison yeast and something from one of the monks?

This is the one I am going to try. But never have so it's a guess. They say it has a "clean" profile.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=130

WLP530 Abbey ale yeast. Less fruity, very clean, good flocc and attenuation.

My go-to for most belgian styles.

3787 is a good choice for a triple. Can be fruity, but not banana. Let it age for >6 months and you'll have a tasty beer my friend.

+1. I used it for a Quad that is still aging and it worked really well. Mine finished a few points lower than anticipated. It should work really nicely in a Triple. I can say the flavor isn't overly fruity or funky, but perfect. As lopsy said, aging is key. I tried the quad after 6 weeks in the bottle and it was still "green." At 5-6 months it was phenomenal! I am going to wait another few months before I start handing it out people.

Don't mind some esters... just not the banana. Its a turn off for me. I do like the deep fruitiness of plum and rasin in dubbels but with a trippel I'd like to play off the grainy pils malt with a bit of lighter fruit character and some spice. Im liming the sounds of the 530 more and more

I'm drinking a Belgian Blond made with the M27 yeast from Mangrove Jack's. It fermented dryer than I expected (and maybe a little more than I'd like) - from 1.062 to 1.008 - and gave a nice spiciness that is pretty much exactly what I remember for the style. Saved some of the yeast and will try pitching it into a Tripel soon. This is my only experience with this yeast, but if it performs like this regularly it will become a fave.

Lots of recommendations out there.... after looking at the wyeast and white labs charts in beew like a monk it seems that the most important thing is to ferment cool to hit the flavor profile I'm looking for. Ramp up at the end to make sure terminal gravity is reached. I like the looks of the 550...

Another vote for WY3787. Brewed a Patersbier, a Dubbel, and 2 tripels with it. It went well with all of them. Spicy phenols and some clove with this one. No banana that I could detect. The only thing I didn't like was how BEASTLY it was during primary fermentation. Use a blow-off with this one.

The other strain I have a lot of experience with is the Duvel yeast, WY1388. A little more subdued with some of the same phenols, but also has definite pear notes which of course is very Duvel like.

And I did one batch with WY1214, which is a tad too fruity for my taste. Still made a nice Dubbel.

I guess I'll just tag my question onto this thread. I find the belgian yeasts for trippels to be really phenolic (which can be a good thing), and I am wondering how aging might impact that. I can imagine it decreases, as does esters, right? I tried an old Westmalle and found it not as exciting as I expected/hoped. Thoughts?

another vote for WY3787 / WLP530. this is from Westmalle and their tripel defines the style (one could argue, anyway). i've never brewed a tripel with that yeast myself (doing one this month, made the starter tonight!) but the patersbier and dubbel i made with it last year were some of the best beers i've made, and i share your dislike of banana...

:ban: :ban: :ban:

I find the belgian yeasts for trippels to be really phenolic (which can be a good thing), and I am wondering how aging might impact that. I can imagine it decreases, as does esters, right?

I still have one bottle left of my first tripel (3rd batch ever, brewed Feb 2011). As time has gone on, the phenols do subside. The esters in that one if anything intesified. Kinda weird. Will probably shed a tear when I finally drink that last one.

Similar sort of thing with my first Dubbel with phenols/esters. Just drank my last one a couple of nights ago.

Latest posts

Back