recirculation back into kettle questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehpower2

Reaction score
So i have a small problem in setup of a basic brewing setup and i am looking for some guidance.

For xmas i got a burner and a chugger pump(valve on outlet naturally) and i want to get a zchilller and a proper kettle with a whirlpool port.

The burning question is that i want to feed the pump from the kettle and through the zchiller and back into the whirlpool port of the kettle while cooling. The big question is for anyone who has done that how long are we talking about to cool the batch roughly or am i wasting my time. My goal is to get the kettle down to keep the cold break and trub in the center of the kettle and to use a side pickup to collect the cool wort out of the kettle free of the debris. When i am ready to transfer into my carboy i plan on disconnecting my whirlpool port and using the valve on the output of the chugger pump to limit the suction vac to keep the trub from being pulled into the pump and thus into my fermentor.

What do you guys think. I think it will work but i am not an expert so i am looking for some guidance.

Recirculation is always nice. Cooling time is going to depend on ground water temps. I use a combination chill system that I switch from ground water to recirculated ice water when the temp has already dropped way down. As for recirculating in the kettle, it will help a ton. I use a stainless version of a chillzilla and with just ground water, depending on my TX ground water temp, I can chill the whole pot in 10-20. Don't get super paranoid about break material though. The whirlpool will collect the majority of it together. You'll never keep it all out. Rather than disconnecting from your side port, just slow the pump flow and pump out that way. Simpler and less messy. Then just drain the lines into the fermenter. Cheers!

Back