Recirculating Mash Return Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a used RIMS tube and am in the process of upgrading it. What should be used on the end of the return line to the mash? Sparge arm? CIP ball? Nothing? Pics of the setup would be greatly appreciated!

Many people use a piece of silicone hose tossed in so that it allows the returning wort/sparge water to circulate gently on the surface above the grain bed without disturbing it. Others use a pie plate drilled with small holes or a colander to break gently rain it backdown into he mash tun. Myself, I built an overly complicated manifold from copper tube, tee fittings, and elbows that will soon be simplified. I'm going to build something similar to the Ultimate Sparge Arm. I've also seen many people use Loc-Line.

I made a Tee out of 1/2" pvc that hangs from my mash paddle with a small piece of copper wire into the mash. Just laying the hose in there works just the same. KISS....

I've used locline and now Blichman Autosparge same idea - let the return gently mix with the wort on top of the grain bed.

I believe there may be desire to avoid splashing the recirculation return into the mash tun as you would with a shower type sparge arm.

Latest posts

Back