Recirculating counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
I just got a used MoreBeer sculpture, but before I start using it, I want to make a few upgrades.

I've already ordered the pickup tube and false bottom for the boil kettle, but I haven't decided what I want to do about the chiller yet. I started with an immersion chiller and then switched to a counterflow like a year and a half ago. I definitely prefer the counterflow and am planning on getting the Williams stainless one.

The sculpture came with the immersion chiller with the whirlpool upgrade. I like the idea of having a whirlpool because it'll help settle all the hot/cold break and hops in the middle of the kettle, but I'm wondering if a whirlpool is necessary with a false bottom.

Currently my plan is to start recirculating with around 10 minutes left in the boil to sanitize the pump and counterflow chiller. Then, once I switch to chilling, I'll let it recirculate back into the kettle until the whole kettle is down to pitching temp, and then I'll drain into the fermentor.

I'm thinking that if I don't whirlpool but still recirculate, the hops will form a fairly even bed on the false bottom and act as a filter for all the hot and cold break.

Or would it make more sense to not use a false bottom and just use a whirlpool recirculation to help all the hops and break material settle in the center of the kettle while having my pickup tube pull from alongside the wall of the kettle?

Latest posts

Back