Recirculating and wort chiller pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonebrews

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a pump that is powerful enough for recirculating my HLT and later running the wort chiller? I'm sure the recirculating will not require much power, but the 1/2" chiller will give it's 25ft length. I'd like one that doesn't have to be submersed to function.

Subscribed wondering as well

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Can anyone tell me what they are using or if you have a better method for doing both?

There are tons of pumps that can do this. Depends on how much you want to spend. I just spend like $139 on the Chugger pump. Love it. Does everything I need it to do without a problem.

Any of the homebrew websites will have pumps.

Can anyone recommend a pump that is powerful enough for recirculating my HLT and later running the wort chiller? I'm sure the recirculating will not require much power, but the 1/2" chiller will give it's 25ft length. I'd like one that doesn't have to be submersed to function.

Your chiller is 25' long? ****!

Your chiller is 25' long? ****!
most immersion of counterflow chillers are 25 or 50ft long? Why does that sound strange?I use a couple of these but they come in more powerful 24v versions too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301002676248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
plenty of flow and powerful enough for both my herms coil and my plate chiller...and my herms coil is 25' of more restrictive 3/8 coil.

theres a long thread on these here somewhere already.
I use a $5 pwm speed controller instead of ball valves to control flow level.

most immersion of counterflow chillers are 25 or 50ft long? Why does that sound strange?I use a couple of these but they come in more powerful 24v versions too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301002676248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
plenty of flow and powerful enough for both my herms coil and my plate chiller...and my herms coil is 25' of more restrictive 3/8 coil.

Exactly what I was looking for. What are you using as your 12v power source?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Can you PM a link to your pwm controller? I just bought that same pump and will be using it fly sparge while the march pump (great pump BTW) is running wort to the BK. Thanks!

An old PC power supply or any 12v 1 amp or larger wall wort power supply works... there are many options on eBay... I used and old xerox scanner power supply for a machine that I service to supply 24v and 12v to various things in my panel. If you wire the black and green wires on a switch it usually works to power up the PC supply without other modifications although sometimes you need resistors and such depending on the power supply.
EBay has dedicated internal 12vdc supplies in like 4 sizes starting at like $20.
As far as the pwm I'll look for a link but I searched 12-24v DC pwm on eBay and bought 2 for like 5-6 bucks a piece. I also bought one for my homemade yeast stirring plate which works well too.

Back