Recipe using 2-row not partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy2133

Reaction score
This was a stout, partial boil with a batch size of 3.5 gallons (1.25 gal top off). First time I have used Pale 2-row in a recipe and still learning how to work with it. Process was to steep the grains at 155 for 60 min. I have been using a floating thermometer so chances are I started steeping at ~160-165.

Would Steeping/mashing the 2 row above 155 be responsible for the higher OG and FG readings?

Beersmith Est OG 1.065
Measured OG 1.076
(Made proper sized starter assuming a OG of 1.068)

Beersmith Est. FG is 1.018
I have 2 FG readings 1 week apart at 1.024

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
7.2 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 5.9 %
7.2 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 5.9 %
7.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 5.9 %
5.6 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 4.6 %
5.6 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) 4.6 %
5.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 4.6 %
5.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 4.6 %
4 lbs 14.1 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) 64.0 %
0.70 oz Northern Brewer [9.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min 28.9 IBUs
0.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20 %] - Boil 0.0 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004)

That recipe is a partial mash recipe, except that 7 ounces of base malt probably isn't enough to convert the other grains. Normally, you'd use equal amounts of specialty grains and base malt, to ensure conversion. If you have 2 pounds of specialty grains, the to ensure conversion 2 pounds of base malt should be used.

As to why the FG is higher than expected, yes the higher temperature could do it. But since it's so little base malt, I think the reason is just more likely that all of those unfermentable/less fermentable grains.

Why would you expect the FG to be the same when your OG was 11 points high? It looks like BS was using 72% apparent attenuation.
.065- (.72X.065) = 0.018
.076 - (.72*.076) = .021
You aren't too far off on the expected FG. If you extract more sugars and get a higher SG, it would be expected that they would contain the same ratio of fermentable to unfermentable sugars. Your higher mash temp and lack of enzymes could also account for higher FG. The higher mash temps favor alpha-amylase and denature beta-amylase before it can finish it's job. The alpha chops the starch chains in a half and you end up with a fuller body.

What are the numbers in beersmith if you delete the DME and change the 2-row to 7.2 lbs? Just curious.

That recipe is a partial mash recipe, except that 7 ounces of base malt probably isn't enough to convert the other grains. Normally, you'd use equal amounts of specialty grains and base malt, to ensure conversion. If you have 2 pounds of specialty grains, the to ensure conversion 2 pounds of base malt should be used.

As to why the FG is higher than expected, yes the higher temperature could do it. But since it's so little base malt, I think the reason is just more likely that all of those unfermentable/less fermentable grains.

Thank you Yooper all the info I found was not clear with conversion needing to be equal parts or more of 2-row for partial mash.

Why would you expect the FG to be the same when your OG was 11 points high? It looks like BS was using 72% apparent attenuation.
.065- (.72X.065) = 0.018
.076 - (.72*.076) = .021
You aren't too far off on the expected FG. If you extract more sugars and get a higher SG, it would be expected that they would contain the same ratio of fermentable to unfermentable sugars. Your higher mash temp and lack of enzymes could also account for higher FG. The higher mash temps favor alpha-amylase and denature beta-amylase before it can finish it's job. The alpha chops the starch chains in a half and you end up with a fuller body.

What are the numbers in beersmith if you delete the DME and change the 2-row to 7.2 lbs? Just curious.

The FG finishing higher with the OG starting higher I realized after I typed and posted. I am asking for possibilities since it seems that the WLP004 is 1% off of the claimed min attenuation and I know that not all sugars can be fermented so the 1% is not a big deal.

The previous 3 kits I have gotten from the LHBS have come out 2-6 points higher OG with just DME and specialty grains. However the FG fell within the yeast attenuation range so I did not worry. This one has me doing the WTF just happened i am some how 11 points over all of a sudden (I know do not worry, I made good beer). Just wanting to under stand it when I decide to go partial mash or BIAB.

Calculated with just 2-row and 72% efficiency the EST OG is 1.069. If that happened I would have never asked.

Before I started the boil or added the DME I was thinking I should have taken a gravity reading just to see what got extracted.

Back