Recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaffman

Reaction score
I'm looking for my next brew and am in need of some recipe suggestions. So far I'm thinking of an English barleywine, a smoked beer, a Scottish wee heavy, or possibly a spiced holiday ale. I'll be using some wlp002 harvested from an imperial brown ale. Any suggestions or successful brews any of you have done?

I don't have a recipe for you but thanksgiving is around the corner. If you wanted to do a bigger pumpkin ale now might be a good time for that.

I've never brewed a barley wine, because I don't care much for them so I can't help you there. I haven't brewed a smoked beer either, but I've heard good things about the cherry smoked malt. There's some info on an episode of Basic Brewing Radio about smoking your own malt and brewing with it.

The only Scottish Ale recipes I've worked with were based on some recipes I found in "Brewing Classic Styles". Actually as I sit here hmm.....

There is a recipe, i think one of John Palmer's, that NB sells a kit for, lot of people brew it or clone it.

Ok kind of nerdy theme, and it took me forever but I found it and here is the link:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-PalmersElevenses.pdf

I can't seem to find my version of this in my notes or in beersmith. It calls for a yeast I've never used, but I'm sure 002 would work nice too. The smoke flavor from the wheat sounds great, you could easily substitute for regular wheat, then add some smoked barley malt instead.

Sorry I couldn't help you more but did want to reply since you hadn't had any yet.

None of those are really my styles so I'm no direct help, but have you checked the recipe database? A number of recipes have won awards, and/or have quite long threads with input from folks who've brewed them.

Thanks for your help everyone. I think I'm going to do a smoked porter next.

Latest posts

Back