Recipe suggestion for Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High5Brewing

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe suggestion that uses mostly Munich malt? I've got a 50lb bag just collecting dust at the moment.

If you can do lagers, a Dunkel is a great way to go. Use ~ 10# of Munich malt and perhaps 2 oz of Carafa for color. Mash for 1 hour at 147 for an hour. Boil for 90 minutes with Hallertau hops to target 25 IBUs. OG should be around 1.054 and FG around 1.011

If you can do lagers, a Dunkel is a great way to go. Use ~ 10# of Munich malt and perhaps 2 oz of Carafa for color. Mash for 1 hour at 147 for an hour. Boil for 90 minutes with Hallertau hops to target 25 IBUs. OG should be around 1.054 and FG around 1.011

That's what I was thinking! I'd mash much higher, though, at 154 for a dunkel.

Or a Dopplebock, for drinking in January. That would be prodominantly Munich malt.

Do a pale ale using 20% flaked maize and hop with Northern Brewer and cascade

Munich is a fantastic base malt for tons of styles. Just use in place of 2-row for more malty/bready character. I love a 100% Munich + C-hop PA/IPA. Really nice.

Who's the maltster? Not all Munichs are created equal.

Who's the maltster? Not all Munichs are created equal.

^ Good question because I've noticed a difference in the past.
That said you could toss it in for a ton of different beers but I just did an Oktoberfest with a bunch of Munich and have done a good schwarzbier before.

If you do a search on this site for a recipe called "Best Laid Plans," it's a oatmeal stout that uses munich malt for the base malt. I've made it a few times and it's very good.

Great suggestions!

I am not sure of the maltster as it is not in the bag anymore. It did come from Northern Brewer though.

Latest posts

Back