Recipe %'s... How much for a 5 gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travestian

Reaction score
I don't have any one recipe in mind but I was wondering how you would be able to figure out what actual weights you would use for a batch of any given size if you are only told what grains and the % of the grist bill each is. Any suggestions?

First you need to establish the conversion efficiency of your brewery. Most recipes use 75% as the default number. From the potential gravity points per gallon of a given grain you then apply the actual efficiency percentage to determine the weight required to meet that result. For example @ 75% efficiency with a potential of 36 ppg (typical pale malt) the actual yield is 27 ppg from the mash (.75 X 36 = 27). So for a 1.054 OG beer @ 75% efficiency you would require two pounds per gallon ( 2 X 27 = 54) to reach that starting gravity.

An easy way is to input the recipe right into the software using the percentage literally as a weight.....
45% pale malt = 0.45 lb
etc...
you'll end up with a silly low starting gravity, but you should be able to simply scale up the starting gravity and the software scales up all the weights proportionally (mine does).
but you need either the starting gravity or the abv% so you know how far to scale it up.

if its a lot of trouble for you, give us the numbers and we can work it for you.

An easy way is to input the recipe right into the software using the percentage literally as a weight.....
45% pale malt = 0.45 lb
etc...
you'll end up with a silly low starting gravity, but you should be able to simply scale up the starting gravity and the software scales up all the weights proportionally (mine does).
but you need either the starting gravity or the abv% so you know how far to scale it up.

if its a lot of trouble for you, give us the numbers and we can work it for you.

This sounds perfect. I do own beersmith so this would be really easy to do. I hadn't thought to do it that way. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back