recipe required for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaconga

Reaction score
I recently made an IPA that was well recieved by the guys at my lhbs. They said I should enter it into the county fair. So I looked up the registration and they want a 3x5 card with basically my full recipe including time and temp. I asked the lady at the fair offices if the judges would be seeing the info and she said they would. It costs nothing to enter except my 3 bottles of beer. Non hbjc judges as well. Is it worth it? Wouldn't they be inherently biased by the recipe info?

But generally the judges don't see the recipe.. at least until they are scored anyway.
That seems odd for them to want it for the judges to read while they were judging.

Oh, I didn't read that the judges would see them while they were judging.

I will submit and hope the girl was wrong and the judges won't be biased by my oddly high FG or my fermentation temp. Will post back how I do.

I will submit and hope the girl was wrong and the judges won't be biased by my oddly high FG or my fermentation temp. Will post back how I do.

Good luck. I love entering competitions. In addition to bragging rights when you win, I always get good feedback on the beers I enter.

Judges should only be influenced by the way the beer is perceived against the style entered, not on how it was actually brewed.

Did you use formaldehyde or something? I see no problems with giving the recipe. If it taste good, it taste good.

But the judges could score your recipe instead of the beer and also could possibly use the recipe to identify the entrant if they are allowed to see the recipe before scoring the beer.

Identify the entrant? Unless the judge is your friend or brew buddy (in the case of club competitions I can see this being a problem), how can they tell who made something by whats in it? I dunno. As far as judging the beer and not the recipe....you got to trust somebody sometime. If winning an event (at a county fair no less) is that important to someone that they will question the judges integrity....then maybe they shouldn't enter.

Hammy71 said:
Identify the entrant? Unless the judge is your friend or brew buddy (in the case of club competitions I can see this being a problem), how can they tell who made something by whats in it? I dunno. As far as judging the beer and not the recipe....you got to trust somebody sometime. If winning an event (at a county fair no less) is that important to someone that they will question the judges integrity....then maybe they shouldn't enter.

Certainly in a smaller community like mine you could identify someone if they brewed a unique style and had special ingredients not widely used. Unlikely, but possible. I don't care so much about winning as I do about getting unbiased feedback on the beer.

But the judges could score your recipe instead of the beer and also could possibly use the recipe to identify the entrant if they are allowed to see the recipe before scoring the beer.

I've had this happen with friendly tastings. I'll build a beer that might be different in the recipe than the classic version - but really well balanced. If the tasters had it without the recipe I would get positive responses - if they saw the recipe first they would note things on the tasting that were triggered by the recipe.

It seems odd that they would give the judges the recipe - but who knows, if that's the way they do it then fine.

Are you required to provide the recipe to enter or can you just leave it blank? I had a suggestion from a bjcp judge friend of mine that when entering contests only specify as much information as required - ie in the specialty beer category note the unusual ingredient.

brycelarson said:
I've had this happen with friendly tastings. I'll build a beer that might be different in the recipe than the classic version - but really well balanced. If the tasters had it without the recipe I would get positive responses - if they saw the recipe first they would note things on the tasting that were triggered by the recipe.

It seems odd that they would give the judges the recipe - but who knows, if that's the way they do it then fine.

Are you required to provide the recipe to enter or can you just leave it blank? I had a suggestion from a bjcp judge friend of mine that when entering contests only specify as much information as required - ie in the specialty beer category note the unusual ingredient.

They want everything. Including type of yeast and ferm time/temps. Even the gravities. I will accept it seeing as there is no entry fee. The office girl didn't seem to know much about the beer judging so I will assume they are going to do it in the more fair way.

They want everything. Including type of yeast and ferm time/temps. Even the gravities. I will accept it seeing as there is no entry fee. The office girl didn't seem to know much about the beer judging so I will assume they are going to do it in the more fair way.

hey, rules of the game I guess.

you could be a cheeky monkey and write "appropriate to style" in all the blanks. :)

Back