Recipe lingo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebirdjf

Reaction score
I am brewing a holiday beer tonight and am prepping my extras. The recipe calls for Orange Peel and the amount says "4.0 each". What does that mean? Probably a dumb question, but I've not run into this one before and don't want to overpower the beer. Also included in the "each" measurements are cinnamon sticks at 3.0 each and ground nutmeg at 1.0 each.

Thanks in advance for helping out this relative newbie.

The recipe should specify. If it doesn't it's the fault of whoever wrote the recipe. For the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg I would assume the units are sticks and teaspoons respectively. Orange peel is usually expressed in ounces, but I would have a hard time believing anyone would put 4 oz of orange peel in a beer, at least at the 5 gallon batch size, which is what I am assuming since you didn't specify.

posting the recipe would be very helpful. i'm guessing grams per gallon? i'm having a hard time figuring out "each". each what?

Back