Recipe Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it me, or are recipe instructions clear as mud? I got a Blonde Ale Extract Kit for Christmas and I brewed it up yesterday. My LBHS kit is the same as MoreBeer's kit as are the instructions. Is it ok to toss in the steeping bag as the water is heating up or is it better to wait til water gets to strike temp and then put in the steeping bag? I just wish recipe instructions were just like on the side of a cake box, instead of being of all the "if"s.

3. Take your cracked flavoring grains (such as crystal, chocolate,
roasted barley, black patent malts, etc.) and put them
into a large nylon mesh bag. Put the bag into the heating water
and remove when the water reaches 170˚F, allowing about 30
minutes to do so. If you reach 170˚F in less than 30 minutes,
turn the heat off and let the grains steep until a total of 30
minutes has passed.

All you are doing with steeping grains is dissolving the sugars from the grains. There is no conversion going on.

I usually partial mash, but when I do steep, I add the grains as the water is heating up and remove them when the temperature is about 170 F.

There is nothing critical about the 30 minutes (I've mashed grains in shorter times than that). You just want sufficient time to dissolve the sugars. Stirring the grain bag around will speed up the process.

170 F is used as the upper temp limit, as there is a risk of extracting tannins above that temp, however, you also need the PH to be right for that to occur. Personally, I don't think you would notice if you got any in the beer, with the small amount of grains used in steeping. Don't worry if you accidentally exceed this temp.

Yes, you can start steeping when the water is heating up. I used to add steeping grains at 150F and steep for 30 minutes not letting temperature go above 170F. I got that information from John Palmers How To Brew.

Back