Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Did an inventory today and decided I'd try to brew a neutral blonde ale, not too hoppy or malty, for the good lady (BMC drinker)
It's 1st time making up a recipe
5 gallon

.5 lb carapils 3L (steep)
.5 lb crystal 15L (steep)

3.73 lbs (1.7 kg) light LME
2.2 lbs (1 kg) extra light DME

1 oz fuggles 60 min
.75 oz fuggles 20 min
.5 oz fuggles 1 min

Whirfloc 20 mins

Safale s05

I have other hops (northdown, progress, styrian holdings, magnum, challenger & target) if any of these are better
I was also going to rack to secondary, after 21days, with amalyse enzyme. Using the enzyme as per "Miller lite" recipe.
The condition for 4/6 weeks.
Any thoughts on how this looks

I'd bitter it with .3oz Magnum. Maybe add .75oz Styrian Golding with the 20 minute addition.

. Replace fuggles with .3oz magnum 60 mins and .75 Syrian geldings @20 mins.... Gives an IBU OF 18 that's around the BMC range if im not mistaken. That should work for herself. What do you think of the amalyse enzyme usage?

Amylase enzyme would help eat some of the long-chain sugars that give flavor & color. Idk about that one. never had to use it?

Amylase enzyme would help eat some of the long-chain sugars that give flavor & color. Idk about that one. never had to use it?

Was going to rack it to secondary and use amylase, then after 1 week cold crash and kinda lager it for 3/4 weeks. Aiming for a bland yellow beer....might be easier to buy her a box of bud BUT if I get this right then.....well you can guess the rest

😄 yeast and final couple of ingredients arrived today for TWO brews...
Which to do 1st... Beernut's "deception cream stout" for me, or, my blonde ale above... For herself... 😳

I'd do the blonde ale first, it'll take longer with that secondary step. Two brew weekends are always good! I've done that when filling the ol' pipeline.:mug:

Was going to rack it to secondary and use amylase, then after 1 week cold crash and kinda lager it for 3/4 weeks. Aiming for a bland yellow beer....might be easier to buy her a box of bud BUT if I get this right then.....well you can guess the rest

.75 to 1 ounce of bittering hops is simple and will work fine for that recipe. A 1/4 oz of finishing hops is optional. I've tried to brew blondes with a lot of hops and it has always turned out errible. You can probably skip the enzyme, if you do decide to do so, be sure and do it at the start of primary fermentation and not after it's a little too late. I wouldn't bother racking to secondary either, just cold crash in the primary.

I make blondes and a bud lite clone quite often, the bud lite clone is loved far more by the BMC crwod than the blonde ale that I make. I do brew AG, but I don't have any problem getting the FG down to 1.003 to 1.006 when I pitch a nice healthy amount of yeast. My bud lite clone is about 1/3 rice, my blonde is usually all malt. I've even brewed the blonde with lager yeast too.

Either way I'm sure it's going to turn out to be a great beer, be sure and let us know how it goes....and a picture would be nice too!

.75 to 1 ounce of bittering hops is simple and will work fine for that recipe. A 1/4 oz of finishing hops is optional. I've tried to brew blondes with a lot of hops and it has always turned out errible. You can probably skip the enzyme, if you do decide to do so, be sure and do it at the start of primary fermentation and not after it's a little too late. I wouldn't bother racking to secondary either, just cold crash in the primary.

I make blondes and a bud lite clone quite often, the bud lite clone is loved far more by the BMC crwod than the blonde ale that I make. I do brew AG, but I don't have any problem getting the FG down to 1.003 to 1.006 when I pitch a nice healthy amount of yeast. My bud lite clone is about 1/3 rice, my blonde is usually all malt. I've even brewed the blonde with lager yeast too.

Either way I'm sure it's going to turn out to be a great beer, be sure and let us know how it goes....and a picture would be nice too!

Cheers,
So as per edited recipe, I should add magnum @60, styrian goldings @ 20 AND add hops @flameout (.25oz fuggles?).
The enzyme I had got to do schlenkerla's "Miller lite" clone but never got the stuff for it and was thinking I might try it (in the same manner for this brew) and see how it turns out..... I have lager yeast here but want to see how this experiment turns out.
I will most definitely post pictures when herself is sipping away (hopefully)

I'd do the blonde ale first, it'll take longer with that secondary step. Two brew weekends are always good! I've done that when filling the ol' pipeline.:mug:

🍻that's true. 2 brew days to look forward to 😎

Just weighed ingredients and crushed grain for tomorrow's brew day.... Brewing the blonde ale first for swmbo , As uniondr says it'll take longer with the extra steps. Next week stout for MEEEEEEEE!

just weighed ingredients and crushed grain for tomorrow's brew day.... Brewing the blonde ale first for swmbo , as uniondr says it'll take longer with the extra steps. Next week stout for meeeeeeee!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411749366.768547.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411749386.764742.jpg

Racked to secondary yesterday, after 14 days, added amalyze enzyme and took a hydro reading 1.020. Just out of curiosity I took another today 1.018... I'll leave it alone now for 2 more weeks before bottling. Sample was clear and Bright, slightly bitter flavour but looks very promising. I reckon her indoors will enjoy it, if not me and the lads will have to dispose of it in a time honoured tradition.....a lads night in

Down to 1014 for the last couple of days, must be finished, thought I'd get down to 1.010 ah well... Time to cold crash while I head away for a few days, then try filling a sanke keg with it.....oh the joys

I just assumed it was done, I'll do that till Tuesday and cold crash then :) tastes good at the minute, not as dry as I wanted but it's still to style, ibu 22-23, color 4-5L, fg 1.014 (1 point off style) so a success I suppose

Latest posts

Back