Recipe help.......thanks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanes66charger

Reaction score
hey guys, well im new to this forum and fairly new to homebrewing, I am looking to make a big IPA. I went to my local HBS yesterday and was disappointed by his lack of hops for one........

I ended up getting some stuff that should work. Although I have pound of flaked rye I wanna use so this is what im thinking.........

Do a mini mash at 155 with 2 lbs american 2-row, 1 lb flaked rye, and 1lb belgain caravienne in 5 quarts water for 45 minutes.

Add mash wort to brew pot for a total boil volume of 6.5 gallons.:tank:
boil for 60 minutes.

3 lbs briess extra light DME at 60 min

1 oz cluster 7.9% @ 60 min

1 oz chinook 11.4% @ 60 min

.5 oz tett 5.1% @ 20 min

1 oz sterling 6.0% @ 20 min

6 lbs muntons extra light LME @ 15 min

1.5 tett 5.1% @ 10 min

2 oz sterling 6.0% @ 10 min

.5 oz columbus 14.2% @ 5 min

.5 0z columbus 14.2% @ 1 min

dry hop 1 oz cascade 3.2%

this is what I cam up with........

The finished volume is: 5 gallons
The original gravity is: 1.092
The alcohol is: 10.5% v/v (7.7% w/w)
The color is: 17 HCU (~10 SRM)
SRM
The bitterness is: 113 IBU

OR.....cut out the first extract addition and end up with...

The finished volume is: 5 gallons
The original gravity is: 1.065
The alcohol is: 7.0% v/v (5.5% w/w)
The color is: 13 HCU (~9 SRM)

The bitterness is: 128 IBU

What do you guys think of this.........feel free to tear it apart, as I wanna learn as much as I can.
:mug:

Any reason why you decided to use american and english hops? I might work over the hop schedule a bit. Instead of using so many hops at 10 minutes, you might want to move them closer to the end of the boil or even use them as dryhops. 1oz of dryhops in this type of beer isn't going to be very noticable. I usually like to go with 3-4oz. in bigger IPAs.

Yes, between the two joints in town here that all the hops I could get. The organic food store was expecting a shipment early this week.

I'll probably run give them a call and see IF they got them in and grab a couple ouces of simcoe or amarillo if they got them for dry hop and get rid of or move the 20 min down towards 5.

I gotta run back to the HBS anyways and get 2 lbs of 2-row if I'm gonna mini-mash the rye in anways.

thanks!

I agree that you should rework the hop usage a bit. Certain hops are better used at certain times and it becomes wasteful to use them sometimes. I would swap your columbus hops to 60 minute additions. And move the cluster to .5 at 5 mins and .5 at 1 min. Columbus is pretty much made for bittering. Cluster can add some nice flavor and aroma.

Aside from that, I think you could cut out an ounce of the 10 min Sterling addition. And you could also cut out .5 oz of the tett at the 10 min addition. I don't think you'll notice that those are missing.

I've noticed that to a point, adding more hops doesn't do anything to a beer. And I think you'll be saving yourself money by cutting out a little as I mentioned above. I was wasting hops and money when I was creating crazily hopped beers. I now use half the hops compared to when I began. Eventually I realized I could just use less of the hops, but in a better manner. And still get the same or better results.

Latest posts

Back