Recipe critique southern brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a southern brown ale, and since I've never actually had one I guess I could use some pointers. I'm looking for a beer with lots of caramelly sweetness and maybe some dark fruit flavors, but not a lot of roast. I've adapted a recipe i found in the archives of brewtoad.
85% Maris Otter
5% Special B
4% biscuit
3% chocolate
3 % Uk crystal 55 L
16 IBU@60 min
Mangrove Jacks Newcastle dark ale yeast
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.017
ABV: 4.1
It may not be completely to style, but in order to maximize the attennuation of the mangrove jacks yeast I want to keep the amount of base malt high, and to ensure an abv of around 4% I have made sure the OG is high (for the style).
I guess special b might not be traditional in a beer like this, but I like the idea of raisiny flavors, which I also think will complement the flavors from the yeast.

I think that looks [pretty good. Ive used that yeast before and remember it being low-attenuating like Windsor. Id mash maybe a bit lower than normal to help out too. maybe like 152F

If you want dark fruit flavors you might consider a darker caramel, say C80, and I wouldnt be afraid to push it up to 7-10%. I find it comes across raisin-like, complex, and not really very sweet.

I have calculated with 65% apparent attenuation. In one thread about the Mangrove Jack's yeasts someome reported getting 66% AA with this yeast when mashing at 149 f, so that will probably be what I will be going for. I'm also conlemplating adding a small amount of dark sugar or molasses to help the attenuation, and also to add to the caramelly flavor.

Less Special B (maybe swap quantity with Crystal?). I'd up the IBU closer to 20. I like that yeast, 65% sounds about right. Often they have less speciality malt and more colour from caramel.

Back