Recipe critique Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
What do you people think about this recipe? I want a dubbel that's fairly heavy on the dried fruit flavors, and I won't mind if it's a bit sweet. I want to keep the recipe relatively simple, in the spirit of Belgian brewers.
83% pilsner malt
5% caramunich iii
2% special b
2% torrified wheat
8% home made dark candi syrup
20 ibu@ 60 min
5 ibu@ 15 min
OG around 1.062
WLP500 yeast

Looks decent to me, but why do you include the wheat?

It's been a while since I brewed a dubbel and I can't recall my recipe, but I feel like simpler is better with this style. The caramunich, special B, and candi sugar should get you the dried fruit flavors you're looking for. Those ingredients and the WLP500 should be good together. I've never used that yeast, but I know it's pretty typical for this style. I generally use Wyeast stuff and like the 3522 Ardennes strain.

Really the only thing I question is the wheat.

The simple answer is that the torrified wheat is for head retention, something I often have a bit of a problem with. I might omit it.

Looks like a solid recipe. Never used Caramunich III but it appears that it would suit a dubbel well especially if you like it a touch sweeter. The wheat is good and not uncommon. Use noble hops.

Latest posts

Back