recently bottled homebrew on an airplane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot_trashko

Reaction score
Tonight i just bottled the first Oatmeal Stout that my buddies and I have done (our 3rd batch ever, AG). I live in China and I'm flying back to the States in 8 days. Not coming back to China till end of Sept. and I really don't want to wait 4 months to try this beer! Any reason why I shouldn't try taking this on the plane? (checked luggage of course) Really don't want exploding bottles but I feel like it's worth the risk. Thoughts?

I would suggest getting some of those boxes with Styrofoam inside they make for shipping bottles.

I've noticed that when you wrap them up all nicely with bubblewqrap or socks or whatever, TSA when inspecting your luggage doesn't do as good a job as you did leading potentially to disaster. If you use one of those boxes though, it doesn't matter.

TSA some times does a great packing job. I brought a bunch of beers back from Portland last year...each bottle was wrapped in bubble wrap and placed into socks and wrapped in shirts. I could see the TSA guy inspecting the luggage. he carefully unwrapped each bottle, and at the end rewrapped each one just as I had packed them. very happy, and very surprised. YMMV.

When I've flown internationally, I've wrapped the bottles in a couple plastic shopping bags, then put them in large freezer bags (a couple bottles per bag), and then sandwiched them between my clothes. It's worked every time and never had the TSA go into my bag. Not that I'd suggest other people do this.

TSA some times does a great packing job. I brought a bunch of beers back from Portland last year...each bottle was wrapped in bubble wrap and placed into socks and wrapped in shirts. I could see the TSA guy inspecting the luggage. he carefully unwrapped each bottle, and at the end rewrapped each one just as I had packed them. very happy, and very surprised. YMMV.

YEah I probably should have mentioned that it's not an absolute. It's just happened often enough to me that I feel it's better to be safe then sorry... My sister in law was sorry when she opened her bag and found the expensive olive oil she bought was no longer in the bottle. :(

Wrap it in clothes and then put in a bag. If it bursts the clothes will block glass shards from opening bag. Did san jose to wausau in december without problems.

I checked a roll aboard with six bombers to MIA last month and had no problems at all.

"You can't say 'bomb' on an airplane!"

But in response to the OP, yes, I've flown trans-Atlantic with recently-bottled homebrews for exactly the same reasons. Just pack them well, and they'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back