Really disappointed with White Labs WLP720

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Really disappointed with White Labs WLP720 as it fermented a mead down to .96. Not very sweet.

Should have used Wyeast 4184 as I've made enjoyable meads in the past using this yeast.

Dang, should not have experimented!

Others?

I originally posted this in the yeast forum and it was suggested to post in the mead forum.

Really disappointed with White Labs WLP720 as it fermented a mead down to .96. Not very sweet.

Should have used Wyeast 4184 as I've made enjoyable meads in the past using this yeast.

Others?

I originally posted this in the yeast forum and it was suggested to post in the mead forum.

0.96? Dang, I need to get a new hydrometer, mine only goes to 0.98!

You can always stabilize and backsweeten. What was your SG?

You can also add more honey. There is no such thing as a “sweet” or “dry” mead yeast. Yeast has an ABV tolerance. If your SG exceeds the ABV tolerance of your yeast, it will be a sweet mead. If it does not, then it will be a dry mead.

For WLP720, it’s tolerance is 15% ABV. This means your SG must be greater than 1.115 to turn out sweet. Also, keep in mind that 15% is more of a ballpark than an absolute number. Yeast don’t read packaging.

Others?

Actually, you should experiment more! Run 1 gallon test batches with different starting gravity. And run the same tests with the WY 4184. The WLP 720 might have some worth while flavor contributions.
Note: Years ago, before I knew very much about making mead, I used WLP 720 and had the exact same reaction the OP had. Why is it called sweet mead yeast? It does ferment out dry.
I've been using dried wine yeast lately, but I'm thinking of going back and trying the 720 again, this time with enough starting gravity to be assured of some sweetness.
My goal is to make a base mead I can then rack on to fruit and have minimal secondary fermentation to preserve as much fruit character as possible.

You can always stabilize and backsweeten. What was your SG?

You can also add more honey. There is no such thing as a “sweet” or “dry” mead yeast. Yeast has an ABV tolerance. If your SG exceeds the ABV tolerance of your yeast, it will be a sweet mead. If it does not, then it will be a dry mead.

For WLP720, it’s tolerance is 15% ABV. This means your SG must be greater than 1.115 to turn out sweet. Also, keep in mind that 15% is more of a ballpark than an absolute number. Yeast don’t read packaging.
Pretty much this^

[QUOTE="For WLP720, it’s tolerance is 15% ABV. This means your SG must be greater than 1.115 to turn out sweet. Also, keep in mind that 15% is more of a ballpark than an absolute number. Yeast don’t read packaging.[/QUOTE]

My OG was high, don't have numbers in front of me right now, but I do know ABV is 17.9% Probably will back sweeten and keg.

Back