Really Bad Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinchegil

Strangedog Brewing
Reaction score
What a screwed up brew day, and I screwed it up before cracking a single beer. I wasn't paying attention and poured the wlp001 (american ale yeast) into the 4.8 noble hopped wheat wort. I did catch it before the boil of the IPA wort so I was able to at least change the hops. No telling how the noble hopped pale ale will taste, It is in the fermenter that does not have cooling, and it is extract so It is not really worth noting the recipe here.
Since the day as screwed up I decided to kitchen sink the saison with hops that have been sitting around since I bought a guy out that to get my conicals.
The accidental kitchen sink Saison
20 lbs Rhar 2 row
4 lbs Vienna
1 lb Cara Gold
1 lb Munich Light
mash 152 for 40 min
raise 168
Here is where the next mistake occured I turned off the wrong pump and wound up with 16 gallons in my boil kettle so I had to do a 2 hour boil at high heat to boil it down to size.
no bittering
1oz each Centennial, Cascade, Jarrylo, Amarillo @ 15
1oz each Centennial, Cascade, Jarrylo, Amarillo @ 10
2 lbs Piloncillo Sugar @ flameout
2oz Jarrylo 10 min whirlpool @ 170
1.6 liter starter of wy3711
After all of this, I had poured 6 gallons of apple juice into my brew bucket and realized I didn't have any saf-04, I did however have a 3 month expired WLP590, so I pitched it
As far as a bad brew day, this has been the worst

It could have been worse... you still came away with three brews that may surprise you with positive results.

One could hope!! If not I will invite over some friends, it will all get drunk, and some will say it is "the best beer ever!!!" you get lots of compliments with free beer :)

I bet your mistakes will actually yield some pretty good beer. Why not use that combo of hops/yeast? Maybe it's off style, but so what - it'll probably taste great.

I bet your mistakes will actually yield some pretty good beer. Why not use that combo of hops/yeast? Maybe it's off style, but so what - it'll probably taste great.
I have never really cared for published styles anyway,I don't clone and I very seldom brew the same beer twice, I think these prevent a bunch of great beers from being created. I am also a yeast abuser, phenolics are our friends and quite often misunderstood :)..................Oh,I void warranties too

Last edited:
At least you didn't spill 3/4's of your wort transferring it to the fermenter. Three thorough cleanings and the basement floor is still sticky.

Back