Really, 60-90 minutes!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are fly sparging 60 mins can be pretty standard. If you are batch sparging I would let the second infusion sit for 10 mins or so just to let the grain bed settle before vorloffing and lautering the second runnings.

for my batch sparging i'll drain it out.. fill up the required amount with the sparge water, give it a couple good stirs, and just vorlouf a quart or so once it stops moving around.. i don't usually take the time to let it sit at all and my results have always been quite good

For batch sparging, you just stir, vorlauf and drain fast. This has nothing to do with that kind of sparge technique.

But for those who fly sparge (continuous sparge), which works by the principle of diffusion, it's recommended to do it very slowly, over an hour or more for a 5 gallon batch, to maximize the sugars extracted. It also ensures that channelling isn't an issue, as can happen with a too-quick sparge.

That's pretty standard.

Mine are more like 45 minutes, with about 75-77% efficiency, and I'm good with that.

psshhh...72% last night. Total time from mash out til full runnings was like 20 minutes. I usually hit around 78% but friends were coming over and I wanted to be on the boil by the time the got there.

I batch sparge and just let the sparge water sit for 10 minutes and then drain.

I did 10gal Sat with fly sparging over a 45 min period and got 75%. Would have gone slower but I promised the wife I wouldn't brew until after we moved which is in a few weeks, so I was trying to get the brewday done and cleaned up before she got home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I fly sparged today over about a 20 minute period and I got 86.4% efficiency. I use a copper manifold in the bottom of a 10 gallon igloo.

For batch sparging, you just stir, vorlauf and drain fast. This has nothing to do with that kind of sparge technique.

But for those who fly sparge (continuous sparge), which works by the principle of diffusion, it's recommended to do it very slowly, over an hour or more for a 5 gallon batch, to maximize the sugars extracted. It also ensures that channelling isn't an issue, as can happen with a too-quick sparge.

That's pretty standard.

Mine are more like 45 minutes, with about 75-77% efficiency, and I'm good with that.

I'm with Yopper, I'll spend about 45 minutes fly sparing. At most 60 minutes, but I do not believe I've done it in less than 45.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The only reason I wait 10 minutes or so after adding the sparge water when batch sparging is so the grain bed can settle down again and I am not lautering from a turbid mash. It also makes vourlofing very quick. 1 to 1.5 quarts usually does it. Then again, the extra time to vourlof a couple more quarts probably wouldn't take more then a couple of minutes.

The only reason I wait 10 minutes or so after adding the sparge water when batch sparging is so the grain bed can settle down again and I am not lautering from a turbid mash. It also makes vourlofing very quick. 1 to 1.5 quarts usually does it. Then again, the extra time to vourlof a couple more quarts probably wouldn't take more then a couple of minutes.

Have you tried not waiting? Even without the wait, I never have to vorlauf more than 2 qt. and it's usually 1 or less. Even if the runoff is a bit cloudy, it really doesn't have any effect on the finished beer, but it will clear quickly as you runoff. At least that's the way it works with the braid I use.

Back