Realistic yeild results with 3 gallon stock pot for newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
I have been considering getting an order of grain to simply sate my curiosity and try all grain. Long term, it is not economical (shipping tends to be the cost of a cheaper AG kit) but I really just want to try it!

Since it would be a one time thing, I definitely don't want to buy anything big to do it. I would like it to be as straight forward as possible using just my 3 gal pot, or if it would really make things easier, an additional one of what I have:
3 gallon stock pot
1 gallon pot (x2)
2 liter pot (x3)

Just want to keep it simple and low mess. My rough guess would be 2 gallons, but maybe 1 is more realistic for "ease"? I know there are calculators for everything but that doesn't equate to an experienced brewer.

2 gallons doable, perhaps do 1.5 for the practice.
With experience you could go even larger by topping off high gravity wort w water, but walk before you run.

If your doing extract now, all you really need is a bag. Your 3gal pot is fine for 1-2 gal batch, depending on what you wan't to brew. You could pull off 2.5 even with top off water. If you have a recipe you want to do there are a few places to order grain from that will bag up your exact recipe ie: 6oz of this 1.5lb of that... Keep in mind you can't buy a 5gal AG kit and split in half like you can with extract. good luck!

I'd stick to 1.5G batches. Should be able to do full volume mash without a problem in the 3 gallon kettle. Could do a 2G but you'll need to sparge(pour non boiling water over the grains after the mash) . Probably at least a half gallon.

Took a guess on some stuff, but anything with a grain bill that's not too crazy should work. Change a couple variables in my calculator and you'll find out what volumes you'll have to work with for a recipe or kit. And Yes, all grain scales linearly. 1 gallon recipe is the same as 1/5 of a 5 gallon recipe (or kit). If the grains are pre mixed or crushed then be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure it's homogeneous if you're going to split them.
http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

1.5 gallon full volume mash sounds like the ticket. If it goes smooth enough and is enjoyable, I may give a whirl at a high gravity mash with top up water. Ideally in these low volumes I'd be making something higher gravity anyway, but if I can get a top-up system of up to 5 gallons, that would be nifty.

I thought of splitting 5 gal kits, but storage is an issue as I probably wont brew fast enough to keep it fresh, especially if hops aren't packaged fractionally. Nor would brewing the same thing 3x be that fun to me. I guess a specialty grain or 2 on hand could spice it up, but that assumes I'd even keep up AG via shipped kits.

Thanks for the advisement!

Back