Real Fizzy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question or one that's been beaten to death, but my first brew, a pale ale, is soda pop fizzy.

Is that normal? Taste is great but it's super fizzy. Just curious if that's normal of home brews.

Thanks all

Well then I'd say if it's super fizzy and tastes good then good job. Better to have fizz than flat IMHO. I wouldn't worry about it but maybe you over did the sugar while bottling? I've had homebrew batches come out a bit more carbonated than others but never overly "fizzy."

How long was it in primary/secondary?

What was your final gravity?

What yeast did you use?

How much priming sugar did you use when you bottled?

Do you know what volume of carbonation you were looking for?

How long did the bottles sit at room temp before you cold crashed them?

It sounds like you either pulled the fermentation before the yeast was fully atenuated or you added too much priming sugar when bottling for the style of beer. The questions above ahould help figure that out.

Thanks man. It's not bad in the slightest, just very fizzy. Nothing to complain about at all, just never had a lot of home brews until I made my own.

I said bottles but I'm using plastic soda bottles basically (diet green tea bottles from Aldi's)

Thanks Phildo! I just saw your post.

Primary only, approximately 3 weeks then bottled.

I'm bad, I didn't take fg cause I never took og. Yes, I am ashamed of myself.

I used a dry $1.29 dollar ale yeast from the local store that has a little bit of brew supplies. It didn't have any special numbers on the packet of anything.

Used an ounce of honey and 4 ounces water for priming sugar.

No idea on the level of carbonation.

Sat at room temp for approx 1 week. In the fridge for a few days.

To me, fizzy can mean one of two things. Beer with too much carbonation can be described as fizzy or beer that has proper carbonation but develops no head can be described as fizzy. If yours is the first one, there is no fix for this batch except to slightly crack open the cap and let out some of the CO2 and then recap it.

If your beer just has no head, I'd expect that you have a bit of soap residue somewhere in your process. Always make sure to rinse your bottles really well, and if you use a dishwasher with an anti-spotting agent, wash your beer glasses by hand in the sink with good rinsing as any soap residue can kill the heading of your beer.

My fizzy bottled beers have usually had a little bit of an infection. Whatever wild yeast that made it in at bottling gives a little sour or tart taste which I've actually found quite nice even though I certainly was not going for it :)

I've gently lifted the cap to release some Co2 so that when I serve it I get less foam but these are beers that I usually appreciate much more than my wife or buddies....I think it's a paternal thing ... :mug:

Lol, I used the ice tea bottles because they're 3.99 for a dozen and they're decently heavy duty, reusable bottles.

As sad as it may sound, I've got so much stuff I need to spend money on, I can't justify spending the 20 bucks on a capper when I can get a dozen plastic bottles to use just fine

Fair enough.
I see in a previous post you let it carb for a week then put into the fridge.
On the next batch let it carb for 2 weeks then place in the fridge. See if that helps.

10-4

Yeah, I made a deal with the boss lady (girlfriend), when I make a good beer and one I'll actually be making a lot of them I can splurge and get the bottle capper haha. The plastics are actually pretty slick cause I go to the river a lot though so that's a plus

Latest posts

Back