REAL Coffee Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferdinanddearagon

Reaction score
Anyone heard of actually malting green coffee beans, then roasting the coffee beans and using as you would regular grains? A search for coffee malt only turns up, as you would expect, information on barley roasted to a coffee color and/or flavor note. Just curious if anyone has tried this and how much sugar can you get from the coffee beans compared to barley/wheat/rye? Are there reasons why this just won't work? Thanks!

Coffee isn't a grain, so I'd suspect it doesn't have the starches to convert to fermentable sugars or the enzymes necessary to do the converting. Even if it did I'm not sure 10 lbs of coffee in 5 gallons of water would make a palatable brew.

Not in the same area really, but beans were a traditional part of some Baltic Porters.

Maybe someone else will have a different opinion, good luck.

Malting is little more than germination and metered sprouting. I imagine that could be done with just about any seed stock.

If there were enough starches in the bean for enzymatic conversion then I would wonder if the bean has any diastatic power and if the enzymes respond the same.

And finally, there a LOT of oil in a coffee bean.

coffee beans are the seed of the fruit same as malt. I am trying this this weekend in face with some green coffee. Although I suspect that I will have to get fresh viable, non processed coffee that has not been dried and processed the normal way since it will still sprout.

As an avid brewer with coffee malt and coffee, I find this very interesting. My gut instinct is that there wouldn't be much of a sugar contribution. Coffee beans are also very high in acidity and oils. Good luck with the experiment .. very interested to hear the results. You can find non-processed grean coffee beans online.

Sorry I see this is pretty old:
For this to work, you'd have to get your hands on "parchment", coffee beans that have been pulped, washed and dried (or just dried naturally with the fruit) but not dry-milled. You won't find this outside of the source country, as most are very protective of their proprietary varietals. But if you visit sonewhere like Puerto Rico or Haiti, somewhere much less regulated, you might manage to leave port with some. Careful. ;)

Latest posts

Back