re-yeast when fruiting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
Last Thursday I fruited some 18 month old lambic inspired beer I pulled from a barrel. I have yet to see any activity(airlock or visual) of fermentation. AFAIK traditional lambic breweries do not reyeast when fruiting, but they are adding fruit directly into a barrel with a cake at the bottom.

I wasn't expecting a fast take off, but did think the question was worth asking you guys who have fruited "old" sours.

I've never found re-yeasting to be necessary with 12-18 month old sour beer. Give it a few more weeks, then take a taste and check the gravity. The fermentation isn't going to look particularly vigorous.

all the lambic makers I have been at rack to a stainless bright tank for fruiting. Cantillon filters after fruiting before bottling. I'd give it time the yeast will get going soon.

You want the bugs to take advantage of these simple sugars. They will work slowly. If you add fresh yeast it will tear through the simple sugars leaving little for the bugs.

Latest posts

Back