Re-waking yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLocal365

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just ran into a new problem: my house's thermostat's batteries died, some time this morning. I was working upstairs at my desk and suddenly realized I was absolutely freezing. I noticed the problem and changed the batteries and the heat just kicked back on. But it got down to 60F in here in the meantime.

This is just yet another argument for me to build a fermentation chamber, but in the meantime I've got 5G of beer in a carboy in the kitchen. Wrapped in towels I'm sure it's temperature is a few degrees higher than ambient (unfortunately my fermentometer fell off!). Also, it was probably not cold enough long enough to really drag down the temperature of the beer.

However, I still worry about the yeast becoming prematurely dormant. I know that the answer is not to worry, but does it make sense for me to agitate the carboy at all to re-suspend the yeast? It's still got another 10 days in primary, so I'm not too worried about disturbing the grub / yeast cake. There's plenty of time for it to re-settle. So, is this a bad idea? Any other thoughts (beyond "it's going to be fine" because I know it is - I've made tons of small mistakes and never had a bad batch yet!).

Thanks!

What kind of yeast? What is the beer? How long has it been in there? Most importantly, have you actually looked at it yet? I don't see any empirical information about the beer here.

In all likelihood, there's nothing to worry about. 60F isn't that cold for anything except maybe some English yeasts that flocculate easily. And it's unlikely the beer got down to that temperature either. Water has a very high specific heat, plus you have your towels, plus yeast in active fermentation is producing its own heat.

It's an ordinary bitter with Wyeast 1098 English Ale. Now that the temp is back up in here I did go unwrap it and it looks OK. Big chunks of yeast fell off the krausen from my jostling it but there is still some bubbles rising visibly in the beer. I brewed it last Saturday so it'd been in there for 4.5 days prior to this.

Plus I was wrong, there fermentometer must have fallen off my larger carboy because there is still one on this one and it reads at 62F, so I'm fine.

If it's an ordinary bitter and you're using English yeast, I'm guessing that you might even have been essentially done with fermentation after 4.5 days. But yeah, sounds like everything is fine. (You can check the gravity if you're still nervous.)

I'm just going to let it be and bottle it in 9 days. I'll take a gravity reading then. I'm not worried… it was just a panic moment since is the last batch that I will be able to brew for a while (new baby coming in 2 weeks!) and I was upset at something other than my own mistakes potentially messing up my brew :).

Back