re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrvrtrnr

Reaction score
In order to re-use the yeast in two different brown ales, can I simply add the trub from my completed secondary fermentation of the first batch to the primary fermenter for the new wort of the second batch?

Yes, you can do that. Or you can save yeast from the primary. It's usually best to make a starter from the harvested yeast, but you can pitch directly into new wort if you prefer. Mr. Malty has a descent calculator for telling you how much to re-pitch. You can find it here.

I wouldn't repitch from secondary. You'll be selecting the least flocculating, and likely most attenuative yeast cells (essentially selective breeding, the way many organisms, from yeast to dogs, have had traits bred into them throughout human history), and the least representative of the actual strain. If you're going to harvest post-fermentation, do it from the primary.

Back